• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Build Specs for Brother

laxer3n7

n00b
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
9
I built my first computer right before Christmas and, after hearing that it was easy to do, has asked me to build a computer for him. He is going to use it for occasional gaming but mostly just for everyday stuff for work. He wants the computer to last for a while without having to upgrade a lot. I've recommended the following specs for his computer and I was just wondering if everything went together and if there were any compatibility issues.

Motherboard:
eVGA 680i

Processor:
Intel E6400 (I had recommended the E6600, but he says that he wants to upgrade to a quad core when they come down in price a bit)

Video Card:
I'm having a bit of trouble with this as the new 8 series are coming out pretty soon, but I recommended the eVGA 7950GT. He likes games like Civilization and Battlefield 2142.

Sound Card:
The Creative X-Fi Platinum (if he buys it right now with the $100 rebate)
XtremeMusic if he decides to wait a bit

Memory:
The mushkin 2GB DDR2 800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146673

Hard Drive:
He takes a lot of pictures so I suggested getting two WD 250 GB SATA drives

DVD Drive:
2X Lite-On SATA drives

Power Supply:
mushkin 580 Watt - Modular

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Bryce
 
Why does he want/need quad core? Personally I'd forget about it and go 6600

You could step down the mobo to get a better gpu, but if you are recommending that he wait I think a 7950gt is too much.

HDD's should be the barracuda series from seagate
 
Go with an X1950XT or equivalent until DX10 is more mainstream. Probably upgrade this to DX10 when he upgrades to quad core.

Drop the Mushkin PSU. Go for the Corsair 520W. If that's too pricey, eWiz has a nice Enhance 500W for a bit less.

If he's an audiophile and has nice speakers, go for the soundcard. If not, then onboard should be fine.

You might want to pickup an AF7Pro or Scythe Ninja Plus Rev.B if he wants to OC. If he wants the best, go with the Tuniq Tower, Zalman 9700 or Ultra120.
 
Back
Top