Build Refresh, Need Some Advice

A2TheRizzo

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Would like to keep it around $400ish, $500 if a new PSU is needed.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Northern VA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Mobo, Ram, *Possibly* PSU

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104934
Graphics Card: eVGA 660Ti
Samsung 120GB SSD
More storage on regular HDDs

6) Will you be overclocking?
I am not opposed to

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Right now running 1680x1050, but might be getting a bigger monitor in the future. (nothing greater than 24")

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Now

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
SATA 6Gb/s?

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Running Windows 7 64Bit

I am looking to do a refresher on my current setup. Would like to play Battlefield 4 at a decent framerate. I don't need anything crazy as this current setup has lasted me this long. I don't mind overclocking if necessary, and I don't mind going Ivy Bridge or Sandy bridge. I will probably be doing a complete overhaul in a year once out of college and a full time job. Any suggestions? I Just need something to hold me over on a budget. Much appreciated!

$334 - Intel Core i5-4670K and Asus Z87-A Micro Center bundle (VA sales tax included)
$67 - Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM (VA sales tax included)
$90 - Corsair TX750 750W PSU (includes $20 instant discount promo code EMCWXTW38, expires 11/6)
=====
$491 - Total (not counting any rebates)

Optional, but highly recommended:
$32 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (VA sales tax included)
$97 - Corsair H80i

With the above build, you won't need a complete overhaul in the near future (unless you really wanted to).

Yes, you need a new power supply. The good news is that the Corsair TX750 can support any single-GPU video card as well as most dual-GPU SLI or CrossFire setups (with the exception of dual GTX 780s or R9 290Xes).

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO allows you to overclock right out of the box. For serious overclocking, however, we recommend the Corsair H80i.

The key to everything lies in your ability to go to the Fairfax Micro Center. The processor/motherboard bundle is an in-store special. You can also price-match with NewEgg or Amazon (regular prices only).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Corsair TX750 just recently received a price drop.

If you're a bit impatient yet you haven't made it to Micro Center, you could have them price-match it. (The NewEgg deal, however, is obviously better.)

Back