Build reccomendations

urapnes

n00b
Joined
May 29, 2011
Messages
48
Hi there,

Currently running a 2500-k and started to do a lot of 1080p encoding. With my current handbrake settings I get about 40 FPS going from 25GB MKV to 8GB MP4. I process about 8 hours of video each week. I have found that the current settings give me the best in terms of quality and speed...now I am looking to throw more horsepower at it provided it will go faster.

Any suggestions on whether or not a new mobo/processor will save me significant portions of time? I looked at 2600ks briefly for the extra cores...but not sure the time savings would be worth the $200. By significant, I mean 1/2 the time or thereabouts.

Really open to any suggestions. I don't game, pretty much do some CAD from time to time, and surf the web. I am in no rush, but just wanted to ask the opinions of the knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks in advance
 
The 2600k doesn't have more cores. It just has hyperthreading which will help out with encoding.

You're not going to get a 50% increase in speed with $200 though I am afraid.
 
If you're simply transcoding, your best bet is to stay in the quad-core range and get as high a clock speed as you can squeeze out.

Best bang. i7-4790K. 4-4.4Ghz, Hyperthreading Quad Core.
Roughly 33% faster based on simple clock speed (base clocking, OC .
With the efficiency additions and hyperthreading...
Basically get a new motherboard for it, and you're golden. Everything else in your 2500k system should transplant.
 
Best bang. i7-4790K. 4-4.4Ghz, Hyperthreading Quad Core.
Roughly 33% faster based on simple clock speed (base clocking, OC .
With the efficiency additions and hyperthreading...
Basically get a new motherboard for it, and you're golden. Everything else in your 2500k system should transplant.

+1.
 
Back
Top