• Build a new rig then sell it

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiraides

[H]F Junkie
I bought quite a few items to help improve my rig, and I just now realized that give or take a couple of items, I have enough parts to build a new computer. In addition to the specs in my rig, I now have:

Pentium 4 550 (was planning on using it to replace the 630 in my rig)
Antec TrueBlue 480 (replaced by the NeoPower 480 in my rig)
Lite-On DVD±RW SOHW-1633S (had problems with it, replaced it with SOHW-1673S)
1GB (2x 512MB) Mushkin Level II Black PC3500 DDR kit (from my first rig)
Logitech Elite Cordless Duo wireless keyboard/mouse set (from my first rig)

I was thinking that all that I would need is a new hard drive (swap my current drive in and put a 400+GB for my existing rig), a video card (6800GT) and one of the Shuttle cases for either the 915 or 925 chipset and I could make a small LAN/retro gaming box with these parts while using my current rig as a combined game/storage server.

I just have one problem: I just built my current rig about two months ago and I really don't feel like I have a legitimate reason to build another one so soon. It's not like I'm building the rig and selling it to someone (I don't want to become anybody's 24/7 tech support) and I probably won't be going to a LAN party anytime soon (I currently "live" in Hawaii and I won't return to the mainland anytime within the next six months). But I don't want these parts to go to waste.

This weekend, I was going to check out the RAM and DVD burner to see if they still function properly and decide if I'm using the 550 or 630 for my current rig. Suggestions?

i think you would profit more selling them individually. plus you would have a better chance at selling all the parts.

Oh, and putting this in FS/T would make a lot more sense... They might even give you tips on prices

Rune75 said:
Oh, and putting this in FS/T would make a lot more sense... They might even give you tips on prices
I want to figure out what to do before I pull that trigger... I figured that putting this thread in the FS/T forum would only result in all of the replies being "Sell!"

Sell them and send me the money. lol No but seriously I would sell and get some quick cash like someone said!

if you need/want the money.. then sell

if you are not so concirned about recouping some $$ out of your hardware

BUILD and FOLD FOLD FOLD for team 33!!

hardfolding.com

paulmr said:
if you need/want the money.. then sell

hardfolding.com
I'll think about that. But (lack of) space is the problem for me right now (otherwise I would have spent all of my money working on my umphteenth computer by now... :D )

I've pretty much decided to swap the 630 in my rig right now for the 550. The reason: I have a 6XX-series chip in a 915P mobo, and I see no visible improvement in its performance over a 5XX-series chip.

I won't make any decisions until Monday, so if you have any other suggestions and/or recommendations, please keep sending them.

Blah425 said:
Sell them and send me the money. lol
Except that.... :rolleyes:

paulmr said:

Actually, that's not a bad idea... I could build a folding computer that could double as a testbed for my troubleshooting projects. Thanks for the idea.

Any other suggestions? (There's also the poll if you want to make you opinions known there....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back