• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Build or Buy?

CefiroZ

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 17, 2004
Messages
218
I was wondering how hard it is to upgrade a PC to a new motherboard. I have a Lian-li aluminum case that I would like to keep but scrap everything else. I could buy a mobo/CPU combo kit from somewhere and put it in my case--nforce4 and athlon64. However, I know nothing about putting a mobo into a case. I don't know where the rises go or anything like that. Is this stuff easy or should I leave it to the professionals? Same question with putting in a PS (I'd probably get an ultra x-connect).

I really have no problem with buying a different PC so I'm leaving that as an option also. Is it really that much more expensive? Who are some builders you would recommend? I've looked at Monarch and Cyberpower but would like to stay away from the overpriced "super" builders like Voodoo, Alienware, Velocity Micro, etc..
 
As long as you carefully read the instructions its pretty easy.

Plus you save money building yourself.

It's fun, and a rewarding experience, what if one day you need to build a computer for someone? You could do it in seconds and they would be all impressed.

Plus, you save money.

Do it yourself.

Also, whered you find that Mobo+CPU Combo?

So ya, build it yourself.
 
Some quick comments/suggestions/tips:

Power supply swap is pretty easy - disconnect all of the power lines, take 4 screws in the back, gently remove old PSU, slide in new one, 4 screws back in, reconnect everything. HOWEVER a lot of people have had bad experiences with Ultra PSUs - blowing up and taking everything hooked up to them with them. If your looking for a Modular PSU, Antec NeoPower or OCZ ModStream. They're more expensive, but worth the bucks.

As for the other electronic parts, browse around the Mobo/AMD Proc/video card forums to find what you want and what to avoid.

When installing, follow simple precautions:

Don't force anything. Computer parts fits nice and easy nowadays - if it won't fit, back off, look at it from another angle and see what you need to do differently.
Handle circuit boards by the edges - don't touch chips/components on the interior of the board.
Test run your system in the open, make sure everything works and plays nice together, as taking the whole buttoned up system back apart to troubleshoot is time consuming and frustrating.
Read up/consult someone with more experience and knowledge to learn about potential incompatibilities and 'gotchas' on stuff like CPU socket types, video card expansion buses etc. I still have people come to me wanting to build nForce4 systems with AGP video cards, and I have to shepherd them to compatible parts. Other people see a great deal on a PCI-E vid card and want to argue with me on why they can't put it in their box.
Stick to well known dealers - Newegg, ZipZoomFly, Monarch are all very good, and I've dealt with all of them multiple times myself, no problems, although I've never made returns to ZZF or Monarch, only the Egg.

ATX cases have standard mounting stud locations - you can hold the board over your case and look through the mounting holes and guess where the studs go.
Don't be afraid to install your own CPU - lift up the lever and literally just drop in the chip - you don't have to push at all. It has a 'key' and will only go in one way. Also, the A64 cooling mechanism installation is a breeze. Thermaltake SilentBoost K8 simply clips on then rotates to lock. Very easy, really. Memory, expansion cards, and drives are a snap too.
 
Hate_Bot said:
Also, whered you find that Mobo+CPU Combo?

http://www.monarchcomputer.com has both AMD and Intel CPU/mobo combos. Click the "combos" link up at the top under the "PC Systems" tab.

The expansion cards and drives I do not have a problem installing, I've done those before. It's just the cpu, mobo, and ps that I've never messed with that I was wondering about. Thanks for the tips though DougLite.

If I do it myself will I need new/more risers? How can I get ahold of these, do they come with the motherboard or the case? I'm pretty sure I don't have any thrown in with my other extra system stuff. Can I buy them from, say, Newegg?
 
CefiroZ said:
I really have no problem with buying a different PC so I'm leaving that as an option also. Is it really that much more expensive? Who are some builders you would recommend? I've looked at Monarch and Cyberpower but would like to stay away from the overpriced "super" builders like Voodoo, Alienware, Velocity Micro, etc..


Circumstances often dictate which way to go. If hardware cost is your biggest concern then building something from scratch offers the lowest price without doubt. However, you consume all the time/labor and assume the associated risks building the computer. For some people, hardware price is not the primary factor. For example, I know I could save at least 15 percent by trying to build a 3D/video editing workstation by myself and totally from scratch, but I would rather pay Alienware's premium and remain focused on my work, billing my clients. It would take me weeks to acquire all the right parts, and another week trying to assemble everything without breaking anything, likely picking the wrong and/or incompatible components (cabling, fans, power, etc.). Essentially, I would rather spend that time getting paid, instead of going through a computer assembly process. It simply makes more economic sense in my situation...
 
If you are a gamer you defnitely want to build it yourself. You will spend a fortune for a good prebuilt gaming PC.
 
CefiroZ said:
I was wondering how hard it is to upgrade a PC to a new motherboard. I have a Lian-li aluminum case that I would like to keep but scrap everything else. I could buy a mobo/CPU combo kit from somewhere and put it in my case--nforce4 and athlon64. However, I know nothing about putting a mobo into a case. I don't know where the rises go or anything like that. Is this stuff easy or should I leave it to the professionals? Same question with putting in a PS (I'd probably get an ultra x-connect).

I really have no problem with buying a different PC so I'm leaving that as an option also. Is it really that much more expensive? Who are some builders you would recommend? I've looked at Monarch and Cyberpower but would like to stay away from the overpriced "super" builders like Voodoo, Alienware, Velocity Micro, etc..

I'll let others jump into specific stuff for ya, here is my take....
After building computers myself for over 15 years here are some reasons I've found for doing it yourself:
1) You can build exactly what you want. Specifc choices
are yours alone.
2) You become your best resource for tech support, not
some uncareing tech support.
3) You learn as you go. This forumn and others like
it can help guide you to the dos and donts.
Remember, we were all beginners at one time
even pro builders get stuck sometimes. Become a good
listener.
4) Satisfaction and pride that you did it yourself
The quality of the parts YOU buy is the sum total of the system
5) Cost: It is cheaper to build then buy, especially a
high end system
6) Gained technical expertise. Even friends and family start
looking to you as there resource. Many people have
even found it to be there vocation in life.
7) Incremental upgrades like a new vid card are done with ease

Do a Goggle search: "computer building guide"
and you can find tons of info. There are lots of stickies in most
of these forums brimming with lots of info, read them and serach a lot...

What most nOObs run into (and even some vets like me) is that they lack patience. Building can be a joy or a curse. Take your time, do the research and ask lots of questions while your in the process.

My 2 cents, hope it helps get you started...
 
don't pay someone to build your computer... thats admiting defeat..

order the parts you want (I'd just suggest go to newegg.com) wait till you have everything shipped then build your machine at a slow one step at a time pace.

everything either screws or snaps in place... the motherboard will come with a very detailed (usualy with pictures) manual

the risers just go where the holes in the motherboard line up just hold the mobo over the empty case and see where you need to place your risers for the holes if that's what you have to do.

read the manual take your time and post here for help you'll be fine.
 
"Don't force anything. Computer parts fits nice and easy nowadays - if it won't fit, back off, look at it from another angle and see what you need to do differently."


Except maybe the HSF ;)
 
As someone else mentioned, it's helpful reading all the material that comes with the retail products if it's your first time. I've been swapping out minor parts for awhile now, but I just installed all new parts(minus easy things like cd-rom and hdd) a couple weeks ago. PSU was easy, wires for on/off and stuff like that were annoying since I couldn't access the front of my case without difficulty, and also because the mobo labels were tiny and hard to read inside my case. RAM's very easy. CPU was easy. HSF was stressful.

I wasn't sure if the lever would clamp down some specific way or not, I wasn't sure how much arctic silver to use(I completely fubar'd that part btw, so read up on their site), and I felt all tingly and crap because I was afraid I was ruining 150$ in hardware. So yeah, most of it's fun and exciting, some parts suck. But once I got it up and running I was very happy and proud too I suppose. It was a good first step and was definately worth it(spent 350$ to go from 640x480 min settings in CS:S to 1280x1024 with high/max settings). The only unfortunate part is that I didn't have my OS disc handy so I'm upgrading to windows xp pro, and that'll mean my comp's out of service for awhile :/

Anyway, it's definately worthwhile. Even if it makes no economical sense like to the poster above, I'd still say do it a few times. It's a pretty unique experience, and you do learn a lot.
And if you don't have money to upgrade all the time, but still itch to do so. Go to Goodwill, buy some 10$ comps that are 10 yrs old, and disassemble them and do inventive things with what's leftover :D
 
Back
Top