Mobo: Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: 3930k @3.8Ghz
RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133 (CMZ16GX3M4A2133C9) quad channel
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 windforce
PSU: Corsair HX850
Sound card: Sounds Blaster Z
Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Samsung 840 500GB, WD 1TB
Optical: LG blue ray burner/reader

Corsair H100i for CPU cooling. I've checked multiple times to make sure the fans are installed properly on the radiator. Idle temps as I'm typing this are at 44C and never go over 65C while gaming. Detiny 2, WoW, CS:GO, BF1 to name a few.

I am running a dual monitor setup where one is a 1440p and the other is 1080p. 1440p = Acer XB270HU, 1080p = Asus MX279.

I have tried to overclock the CPU further but it just results in the shutting itself down after an hour of gaming or doing anything. It's done it at the desktop. I don't know if it's due to the fact that the model of RAM I have is not on the manufacturer's compatibility list or not or if I got unluck with the CPU lottery. Running it at 3.8Ghz has been stable since summer 2013 so I'm guessing it's due to CPU lottery.

Sorry for the long winded way of getting to my main questions

1. Upgrade mobo, RAM, CPU, and GPU?
2. Change RAM to a model that's on the compatibility list AND get a 1080ti?
3. Just get a 1080ti?

Will my HX850 PSU be enough to power everything including a 1080ti?

I'm sorry for the wall of text but I'm on the fence about upgrading my current system or building a new one. I have around $3000 USD that I've saved up for this so I'm not worried too much on budget.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Keep what you have and figure out your ocing issue. If you can hold on for a few months let's see what the 10xx cards bring... if not 1070ti is what I would jump too

Are you running 4x4gb of ram sticks? If so try just doing 8gbs as a test. This was issue for long time holding oc back on my current 2500k and msi p67a board. But what ever you don't spend any additional money on this rig minus the gpu upgrade.

Thank you for the reply. I'm starting to lean towards either buying a prebuilt or building a new one.

Tough choice. I'd try to hold out for 6 more months if you can.

Run a suite of benchs for some real performance numbers for cpu, memory, disk, gpu, etc. so we can see where you are actually lacking.

You can always just got for the GPU upgrade for the time being and later this year, yes we are already in 2018 :D find yourself a new platform, AMD is supposed to release a 12nm Ryzen, might be worth the wait.

Back