build kits

laxman144

Limp Gawd
I am going to build another computer but i haven't really been keeping up with the latest hardware and new technology for about the last 3 years. Is there any place that I can order a build kit or something where I can buy all the parts I need for my computer without searching the web for all sorts of compatible parts?

You really can't order a kit, but you can order from a single website if it's easier. Newegg is the best bet for this. You won't necessarily get the best prices, but at least you will only pay one shipping charge. Here are the components that you will need for a working desktop computer. For us to suggest actual parts, we need to know what your budget is, what you plan to use the computer for, and the specs of any parts (such as an existing monitor) that you plan to use with the new PC.

1 Motherboard
1 CPU
1-4 DIMMS of RAM
1-2 Videocards (1 is sufficient in almost all cases, unless you want high-end all-settings-maxed gaming at a resolution at or above 1920x1200)
1 Power Supply (PSU)
1 CPU cooler, should you plan to overclock
1 or more Hard Disks
1 or more Optical Drives
1 Case, plus any additional case fans (dependent on case selection)
1 Monitor
1 Keyboard and Mouse

Let us know more about what you want to build and we can offer advice about specific parts.

I cannot spend over $600 the less I pay the happier I am, I already have an lcd monitor, I am going to be playing world of warcraft, counterstrike, and battlefield 2<these games don't take that great of a computer.
I would rather go for an intel dual core but I think that might be a little exspensive, so maybe amd athlon 64? but into the future I would rather upgrade to another intel, is it possible to buy a motherboard that works with both intel dual core and amd, I don't think there is but i don't really remember. I would rather have nvidia.

any help would be great, I already have a set of corsair 2x512mb pc 3200 ram from about 3 years ago, I don't know if that would work with my new mobo,

$600 will get you into the Intel party, which is where you want to be. Unfortunately there is no such thing as an AMD and Intel compatible motherboard. For the proc, consider a lower-end Pentium E2XXX series proc (these are actually Core 2-based chips) or the E4XXX Allendale chips. The high end dual core E8XXX series just came out, which may push E6XXX prices lower in the next several months.

Note however that both LGA 775 (Intel) and Socket AM2/AM2+ (AMD) are nearing the end of their life cycles, so neither option will give you much in processor upgradability. Penryn, the Core 2 Duo / Quad die-shrink, has just been released and is the last chip to use the 775 format. When Nehelem is released at the end of the year (or early next,) it will ship with a new form factor (LGA 1033 I think,) thus requiring new motherboards. As for AMD, unless they pull a rabit out of their hat and ship a competitive Phenom, their next shot at regaining lost ground will be with Bulldozer. This, I believe, will use a new socket and new motherboard layout making use of DDR-3 RAM.

The board you've picked out is a Micro ATX form factor. Are you sure that's what you want?

Any motherboard with a PCI-Express slot can use a modern nVidida graphics card. For a $600 build, going SLI at any point would be a foolish move. SLI as an upgrade path is always a bad idea, as by the time you are ready to get that second card, a newer single card will be out that will likely out perform two of the older cards in SLI. Given that you can sell the original card when buying the new one, and that nVidia seldom drops prices on older models soon after release, there is little reason from a cost perspective to consider a two card setup. SLI is only of benefit if a) you are gaming at a resolution of at least 1920x1200 and b) you can afford to get two cards when you build the rig.

For a motherboard, consider something with a P35 chipset. They are currently the best available from a price / performance standpoint. Look at the Abit IP-35-E, Gigabyte DS3, or ASUS P5K series. MSI also has very reasonably priced P35 boards worth considering.

An excellent choice, provided you don't need on board RAID.

EDIT: Btw, when posting products, please post the product name in the forum itself so that people do not have to click on the link to find out what you are referring to.

Here's a starting point:

$70 - Antec NSK4480 case with EarthWatts 380 watt PSU
$89 - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 motherboard
$79 - Intel E2160 (with free shipping)
$43 - A-DATA 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800 dual-channel kit (with $10 mail-in rebate)
$69 - Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB SATA HDD
$30 - Samsung SH-S203B DVD burner

$380 - Total (not including taxes, shipping, or rebates)

I intentionally left out the operating system, video card, and other peripherals, because I don't know what you really want...

Do you already have an OS, or will you need another one?
Do you plan on overclocking this rig?
What monitor do you have? Are you planning on getting another monitor soon?
Are you planning on playing any of the newer games (e.g., Crysis, CoD 4) at any point in the future?
What else are you planning to use this rig for?
How long do you want this rig to last?

Here's a starting point:

$70 - Antec NSK4480 case with EarthWatts 380 watt PSU
$89 - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 2.0 motherboard
$79 - Intel E2160 (with free shipping)
$43 - A-DATA 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800 dual-channel kit (with $10 mail-in rebate)
$69 - Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB SATA HDD
$30 - Samsung SH-S203B DVD burner

$380 - Total (not including taxes, shipping, or rebates)

I intentionally left out the operating system, video card, and other peripherals, because I don't know what you really want...

Do you already have an OS, or will you need another one?
Do you plan on overclocking this rig?
What monitor do you have? Are you planning on getting another monitor soon?
Are you planning on playing any of the newer games (e.g., Crysis, CoD 4) at any point in the future?
What else are you planning to use this rig for?
How long do you want this rig to last?

I already have windows xp pro, yes i definately plan on overclocking, i will work out the monitor later, I do plan on playing newer games, and i want this rig to last a long time atleast 5 years, with upgrades along the way of course.
thanks for that list it helps alot!

I do plan on playing newer games, and i want this rig to last a long time atleast 5 years, with upgrades along the way of course.
thanks for that list it helps alot!

From my limited experience, it seems like nothing is worth trying to upgrade over 5 years. Just get something that works for you now and 1 - maybe 2 years in the future. If you want to play the new games, you'll have to build a new rig in a few years anyways so don't fret it now.

Also, a general comment to everyone on this forum - this place is a lot more helpful than other sites. I've been reading a few of these posts and I'm suprised with how many people help out, good stuff... :cool:

To "finish" this rig while keeping it under $600, I'm going to recommend a Radeon HD3850. NewEgg has four versions of this card available for $170. (I don't know which brand is best, so I'm not going to recommend a specific card.) Personally, I believe that you should get the 8800GT, but since it costs between $250-$300 right now, it would put you way over your budget.

i dont know much about the new ATI cards, the last time i remeber the x850xtx 512mb was the best ati out there, is the hd3850 good for games?

Back