Build help

Hi
I'm about to embark on my first build and looking for a few pointers before I start.

Here's what I ordered (arrives this weekend):
Asus P8Z68-V - $169 (figure didn't need Gen 3 so saved $20)
Intel i5-2500K - $205
GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 2x4GB - $35 (can't believe how cheap this was)
CM Hyper 212+ - $20
Crucial M4 128Gb - $210
Arctic Cooling MX-4 - $10

I'll be pairing with my existing:
Antec P182 case
XFX Black 850W
MSI GTX 560Ti

I'm hoping to get about 4.5GHz from the i5 which will be fine for my purposes.

Again, any tips appreciated. I'll be plugging it all together, switching on and crossing my fingers this next weekend.

Check out some of the other forums here -- particularly the Intel Motherboards and the Overclocking & Cooling forums -- for some tips.

I would add a second bladmaster fan to that cooler( same as the stock one) if you can that is, should only be $5-$12 depending on where you get it, should drop temps around 7c at high loads, and around 3c lower loads, mostly cause its able to deal with the temp or heatsoak, it may not help to get a much higher overclock, but it will help keep its temps a bit more stable then just the single fan, as in push/pull.

But as tiraides pointed out, lots of posts about this, and if need be, am sure someone can lend you a direct hand. Course, you could just set the ram to XMP profile, and it should give you a decent ovrerclock right off the bat, much easier this way, the i5/i7 are still quite fast as is, you may not "need" to push it to the bleeding edge if you are looking for that performance boost.

Ok thanks will look into that.
Can you explain what is XMP profile and how I set that? Sounds like it's just for me (simple OC and nothing too extreme).

XMP is set through the ram itself, i am not 100% sure how to do so with an Intel based system, but for myself it was in the bios under advanced, and ram profiles. you are using a similar board as it is a UEFI board, so go into your bios then advanced mode-AI tweaker-AI overclock tuner and set it for XMP, just make sure it selects the correct profile for ram, as in, if your ram is to use dr3 1600 with timings of 9,9,9,24 1.5v check all those things after it does its reboot phase, just make sure all is as it should be, like I said, XMP is more or less an Intel spec, so I dont see you having any problems using it as such, probably not a huge overclock, but it should be a bump anyways.

If you really wanted to get into it, unfortuantely it will take a fair amount of reading to know what is safe to set at what point and all that, I believe, all current Intel chips are speced to do 4 bins higher on the bclk, so if chip is say 3.0Ghz stock it will be able to do 3.6 or so.

Anyways, I would try it with XMP first, it may make it fast enough that your happy, and should very much stay in intels specs, a couple hundered mhz is not much, but, it can add up to quite a bit. 3.6-3.8-4.0-4.2-4.4-4.5-4.6 are what most try to go for, but there simply is a point where you see a birdge between the amount of heat/voltage needed/speed given in return, if you learn "your chip and setup" then you can find that sweet spot, best of luck to you, and never forget my young pattiwan "knowledge is power" you can never research enough when doing these things :)

Getting a 2500k up to 4.5Ghz shouldn't be that difficult. Usually you can just set it at x45 multi, with a little more volts than normal and that will result in 4.5Ghz relatively easy.

Back