Hello all,
First off, my apologies, I feel like a lazy SOB for asking for build advice on my first post. I've just been so incredibly busy I've found I just don't have the time to make myself an expert on the newest hardware like I used to do before every build. That said, I'm hoping you all, or at least some of you excuse my lack contribution to this forum, taking my request for help as a recognition of how great this forum and it's contributors are.
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
I want to build this as gaming PC first and foremost. That said this will be my primary PC for everything else as well, the only specialty work being some music production (Ableton), and recording (digital in on the sound card). Possibly some basic video editing from an HD cam.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
My budget is about $3000, American or Canadian $, they're about the same now anyways. I don't mind going over that number if the performance/quality/convenience return is worth it. Also, I'm happy to stay under that number rather than wasting $$$.
3) Where do you live?
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I'll probably use NCIX, or NewEgg.ca, but if you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Everything, lol. Really though, I'm starting fresh, the only thing I might hand onto are my speakers, but I'm happy to take suggestions on speakers as well. So: Case, mobo, CPU, RAM, vid card(s), SSD, storage HDD, optical (blu-ray) drive, PSU, sound card (are onboard decent these days?), monitor, mouse(I've been using Logitech mice for years now, and love them, but if something better is available, I'm game), keyboard... am I forgetting anything?
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
none
6) Will you be overclocking?
Always have, is there a good reason not to?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I want something large(24" minimum), with good viewing angles and contrast, and a sufficient response time for FPS gaming. Maybe even consider a multi display set up, if it can fit into my budget. Maybe. I'm willing to blow a little extra cash here to ensure I'll have something I'm happy with.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Right away, to a month from now if there is something worth waiting for.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I'm open to whatever buys me the best performance here for the $$$. But like I said, I need a digital in on the sound card at least, and something that is fairly future proof.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
No. I'm assuming Win 7 64bit is the standard now?
Some final notes on what I want: Above all, performance, but with silence, or close to it is quite important to me. This includes the high pitch whine some capacitors make. That drives me a little crazy. The case should be user friendly, and understated. I can deal with a little flashiness, but I primarily want something that looks great and functions equally as great.
Thanks so much for any replies.
tycho
First off, my apologies, I feel like a lazy SOB for asking for build advice on my first post. I've just been so incredibly busy I've found I just don't have the time to make myself an expert on the newest hardware like I used to do before every build. That said, I'm hoping you all, or at least some of you excuse my lack contribution to this forum, taking my request for help as a recognition of how great this forum and it's contributors are.
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
I want to build this as gaming PC first and foremost. That said this will be my primary PC for everything else as well, the only specialty work being some music production (Ableton), and recording (digital in on the sound card). Possibly some basic video editing from an HD cam.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
My budget is about $3000, American or Canadian $, they're about the same now anyways. I don't mind going over that number if the performance/quality/convenience return is worth it. Also, I'm happy to stay under that number rather than wasting $$$.
3) Where do you live?
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I'll probably use NCIX, or NewEgg.ca, but if you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Everything, lol. Really though, I'm starting fresh, the only thing I might hand onto are my speakers, but I'm happy to take suggestions on speakers as well. So: Case, mobo, CPU, RAM, vid card(s), SSD, storage HDD, optical (blu-ray) drive, PSU, sound card (are onboard decent these days?), monitor, mouse(I've been using Logitech mice for years now, and love them, but if something better is available, I'm game), keyboard... am I forgetting anything?
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
none
6) Will you be overclocking?
Always have, is there a good reason not to?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I want something large(24" minimum), with good viewing angles and contrast, and a sufficient response time for FPS gaming. Maybe even consider a multi display set up, if it can fit into my budget. Maybe. I'm willing to blow a little extra cash here to ensure I'll have something I'm happy with.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Right away, to a month from now if there is something worth waiting for.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I'm open to whatever buys me the best performance here for the $$$. But like I said, I need a digital in on the sound card at least, and something that is fairly future proof.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
No. I'm assuming Win 7 64bit is the standard now?
Some final notes on what I want: Above all, performance, but with silence, or close to it is quite important to me. This includes the high pitch whine some capacitors make. That drives me a little crazy. The case should be user friendly, and understated. I can deal with a little flashiness, but I primarily want something that looks great and functions equally as great.
Thanks so much for any replies.
tycho