Build Help. Checking if all things are good and or should i change the PSU?

vvilliamm

Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming mostly
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
1000 cad and below

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
building for a friend in Canada

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I have everything listed already just need a person to take another look at it. Also is the psu any good? from evga

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

all new parts

6) Will you be overclocking?
no

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1080p but i think he wants to get a 144hz monitor later on

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
asap

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

just brand preferred gigabyte

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

yes windows 7 64bit

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/4cQfLk

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.25 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.95 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($280.70 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.75 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.05 @ Vuugo)
Total: $995.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-23 16:43 EDT-0400

what do you think? Im trying to keep it at 1k

There are several not-so-good choices for the money in that build list:

1) The case. It is a bit cramped on the inside, and it has tear-off expansion slot covers that cannot be reused at all (this is a sure sign of a low-quality case that may rattle more than most when the system is operating).

2) I would strongly recommend a larger SSD since 120GB SSDs now offer much worse bang for the buck. And not only are smaller-capacity SSDs cost much more money per GB of space, they are also usually significantly slower than their larger-capacity siblings.

3) Why 4GB on such a weakling GPU as that GTX 960? You see, the GTX 960 is too weak of a GPU to take anywhere near full advantage of 4GB of VRAM. Plus, that card is stupidly overpriced.

thanks im thinking of changing it to a Fractal Design Core 1000 or a Coolmaster haf 912?

hmm the vid card maybe lower it to a 2gb gtx 960 superclock?

Between those two cases go for the Fractal Design Core 1000 if it has a front USB 3.0 port. The CM HAF 912 is outdated because it lacks any front USB 3.0 ports whatsoever (the two front USB ports are only USB 2.0 compliant).

And yes, 2GB of VRAM on a GTX 960 is sufficient since the GTX 960 doesn't really perform well at resolutions above 1080p. Plus, gaming at 4K resolutions is the real reason for the extra 2GB of VRAM to begin with; it's just that the GTX 960 and its 128-bit VRAM interface are too weak to comfortably handle 4K gaming.

You could get a cheaper motherboard. You're not overclocking and didn't list any requirements required on a motherboard and thus you could easily shave off a few bucks going with a cheaper Gigabyte board.
$83 - GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H

Why 2x4GB sticks of RAM? Limits future upgrade possibilities.
$67 - G.SKILL AEGIS 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Now you have three free DIMMs for future upgrades allowing you to easily hit 32GB by getting three more 8GB sticks in the future should it be required or needed without having to replace anything.

750W is way, way overkill for your setup. I'm not even running a 750W unit and I'm running 2-way SLI 970s on my rig. With that being said, get this PSU:

$50 - EVGA 500W 80 Plus
While it's not the best PSU on the market, for $40 it's hard to beat. Just read the JonnyGuru review of it.

Since you're not overclocking and I'm guessing you live in Canada I highly doubt you need the extra cooling of an aftermarket CPU cooler. The stock cooler will handle the heat just fine.

Now you should have room for larger capacity SSD and a better GPU with the extra $80 in your budget.

Back