• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Build for Brother... Sub $1300

Prim3

Gawd
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
926
Brother wants a new rig for everyday use plus being able to play whatever video game he would want to. Trying to build the best thing for him that he will get great use out of for a while. I will also be looking for a CPU cooler for this 6x =D I prefer AMD and open to anything similar to what I have here:

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Item #: N82E16827135204 $23.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136533 $94.99

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131646 $119.99

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active ...
Item #: N82E16817139010 -$30.00+Instant $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card17-139-010
$169.99
$139.99

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model CMD8GX3M4A1333C7
Item #: N82E16820145284 $244.99

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
Item #: N82E16819103851 -$10.00+Instant $209.99 $199.99

ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU TOP/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX ...
Item #:+N82E16814121370

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Item #:+N82E16832116754
-$10.00+Instant
-$10.00+Combo
$439.98
$419.98
Subtotal: $1,243.92

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? Everything
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? Sub 1300
3) Where do you live? Texas MFers!
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? Everything but the case
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 something compared to this... I forgot what series it was.
6) Will you be overclocking? Nope
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? Debating that now but most likely 23" or so
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Coming week or two
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? Just a good board. Nothing fancy pants here
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? Nope buying Win7. 64bit HOOOOO!
 
well tour missing a case on that list & thats needed before anyone can reccomend a cooler..

as far as the rest of the build goes, your on the right track, but that flat sucks for bang for buck..

Try this..

20 Lite-On DVD-r
75 Samsung 1TB f3
220 G.SKILL ECO 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
100 Win 7 Home Premium
310 AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz + GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX
470 XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W + XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB

Shipped total is 1198 & EVERYTHING is either matched or upgraded (especially the videocard) compared to what you have above..

Also if you already have the case if an h50 fits its probably the highest recommended cooler on here. If you have the budget for it (dont know what your situation on the case & cooler are exactly compared to the budget) as well for 110 more you can get a OCZ vertex 30gb SSD (combo with the OS) for a boot drive & that would make it feel like a much faster PC as well..
 
well tour missing a case on that list & thats needed before anyone can reccomend a cooler..

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 something compared to this... I forgot what series it was.

has 2 120mm fans and I think I can even side mount 1 or 2 80mm's. I forgot since it's not at my house. I hand selected the Corsair power supply =) I rather spend the extra bucks on the Corsair ram then use G.Skill to many amazing experiences with their products + their warranty. I'd rather have the Asus card then the XFX
 
Last edited:
- Tigerdirect has that 15% BCB right now, so a GTX 460 1GB could be an option (instead of the 5850). - or use the BCB toward your 5850.

- Antec TP-new 750 is less expensive, and great. I've seen it for $70-$95

- I'd go with DDR3 1600 at least. That kit seems expensive for what you're getting. Check out offerings from the other usuals: g.skill, ocz, mushkin, patriot, etc...

- I like my Samsung F3 1TB drives. They're less expensive than WD black 1TB (ewiz recently had them for $60 each), and seemingly just as fast or faster wrt sequential read/write.... maybe a little slower total IOP/s.

OH - that combo deal with the evga 5870 + XFX 750w PSU = good. That's a pretty good deal, but not as good a value as the options above and below it.

The next step up would be GTX 460 SLI (about $405 after BCB for the 1GB model) + a larger PSU (850w or 950w, corsair TX series would do). - but that's a HUGE step up.

Cooling: I haven't read about that scythe cooler, but I'd go for the Cogage Arrow right now. It's under $60, and arguably the best heatsink available... add fans.
 
Last edited:
The scythe was on hardocp's website for a review and had really good price versus performance. I'll take the advice on the ram and look at some others but I highly highly like Corsair.
 
The scythe was on hardocp's website for a review and had really good price versus performance. I'll take the advice on the ram and look at some others but I highly highly like Corsair.

The problem with your original choice is that the Dominators are too expensive for what you get; in fact they are much more expensive than other Corsair memory kits with the same speed and timings.
 
OH - that combo deal with the evga 5870 + XFX 750w PSU = good. That's a pretty good deal, but not as good a value as the options above and below it.

ok so i re-read the thread 3 times.. what options above & below are you talking about (also EVGA doesn't make a 5870, thats a XFX)
 
Pretty much ordered what I posted. I did take the suggestions on the Ram and looked around and got some 1600 Corsair for a bit cheaper. I hand select the stuff I buy for various reasons. Biggest things are the support I have received from Asus and Corsair is why I stick to their products. AMD has always what I've built due to price versus performance. He is going to have a nice setup for a few good years now and with a 24" Monitor. I know it's not going to fit his desk and I can finally get him to listen to me and build one. He is in a wheel chair and hopefully that will be a cool build to see =D
 
Back
Top