Build for a friend

Bob002

Gawd
Friend is having issues registering for some reason, so she asked me to post this for her.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Primarily gaming, though also just your general usage.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Preferably under $1000, though I'm willing to jump up to $1200 if there's something that is just that much better. Shipping is not included, tax is.
3) Where do you live?
Minnesota
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
This would be built from scratch, so pretty much everything.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
N/A
6) Will you be overclocking?
Not likely, or if I do, not extensively.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I currently have a 1280x1024 monitor, though I do intend to get a second widescreen monitor, probably around 22".
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next 8 months or so. I'd kind of like to buy things piece by piece based on my income (which is, for the first time in about 4 years stable), so whatever is least likely to need upgrading would likely be bought first.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
None of that really.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
I do not. I plan to get Win7 once I get closer to build time.

I would like to add that I have never actually built my own computer before. I have more than a few friends that can help me actually put it together, along with my dad, but I, myself, have never actually done it.

Because I went to school for graphic design, I've been rather comfortably using a MacBook Pro for the last 3 years. It works well enough for my gaming purposes right now (World of Warcraft mostly, and when it's released Diablo 3), but I'd like to actually be able to run the game (and any other games I pick up) with settings higher than low.

Is the 22" monitor included in that $1k budget?

Technology changes too fast to buy parts piece by piece over an 8 month period, especially if you don't have a current system to use those parts in until all the new parts arrive. I would suggest waiting until you are close to having the money to build the system, and then spec'ing out the system. Many parts recommended today would most likely not be recommended 8 months from now, since there should be newer and better things for the money by then.

If you were building the system sooner (like within the next couple weeks), and the monitor was included in the budget, you'd probably be looking at an AMD Ph2 X4 955, 770TA, 4GB DDR3-1600, HD 5770, 1TB F3, SATA DVDRW, EA650, whatever case you like, and whatever monitor others suggest, hehe.

Back