Build Advice: Intel MoBo + CPU + SSD?

pc1x1

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, long story short, I been having alot of issues with my AMD motherboard, and I don't want to deal with them at the moment. So going to RMA, and turn it into a Server.

I have currently an Asus Crosshair IV running a 1090T, a Crucial M4 SSD, 2x 2 GBs, 6950 flashed to 6970s, an Areca 1680IX Raid Controller, 8 gigs of DDR3 Ram.

They run 6 monitors, being the main resolution I game at is 2560x1600. I have no interest in running Eyefinity or using multiple monitors, though I could play with it.

Basically I want to hold on until Haswell, and Maxwell for Nvidia. After years with ATI/AMD, being a Rage Pro user! I decided to switch. I know there's the debate still raging on, and I am not a fanboy of either camp, just always liked the fidelity and value of owning several Radeons over the years. But I quite honestly, don't want to deal with the bugs and software glitches, and CrossfireX issues I ran into all these years. All my Nvidia powered computers I wouldn't say are better, but definitely more hassle free.

However due to budget limitations, and because I don't want to spend to much, knowing I'll upgrade once Haswell matures, in the next 6 months to one year. I figured, don't buy any GPUs, stick to my Radeons for now, and just change the motherboard and CPU and possibly get two tiny SSDs and raid 0 them. I am fine space wise, I have 16 TB of Caviar Blacks. But OS, and Office, and etc, I'd like to keep on a fast boot drive. Then I'll wait until prices drop, and do 2TB of SSD.

Basically I am waiting for the cost benefit to kick in, and build the high end systems, I normally build, 4 GPUs, Water Cooled etc. But right now just seems pointless, no game I play maxes out anything, I been mostly playing Starcraft 2.

So thoughts, advice?

I just built for my friend a Asus Sabertooth + 3570k + 2x 128mb 840 Pros. Prob to expensive for me to build at the moment, but can try. Not sure if I should go Mobo, CPU, SSD, or just mobo and cpu.

My budget is around $500 dollars, I can squeeze more, but ideally cheapest possible, as it's just to hold me over, until there's a successor for the Titan. The rig is mostly used for Work, Office, and occasional gaming. I think the 6950/6970's should hold me over another year.

Ps. I want stability more than anything, and hassle free. Not going to overclock or go nuts much, just want something faster than the 1090T at 3.8 ghz. I do video editing, photography and process intensive tasks. But if I have to wait another minute or two for rendering, it's fine. I just want a stable good system to hold me over.
Pss. I could also just RMA, and hold on to the AMD one, and wait for Haswell, thoughts?

I have a MacBook Pro Retina, that's holding me over at the moment. So I am not computerless. And it's an i7, I wouldn't be surprised if its not faster than the desktop.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Back