Bugs connecting to hidden SSID's?

jvlazzar

Weaksauce
Tested this on a Cisco Aironet 1310 and a 3Com 8760 using multiple pcmcia cards. Access points are running WPA2/AES with PEAP authentication against RADIUS. When using WZC and manually adding an SSID (broadcasts are not allowed), it connects successfull on the first attempt. At this point the SSID in WZC is set to Automatic.

When I disconnect from the SSID, WZC changes it to Manual. After scanning for avaliable networks, the newly added SSID will never appear in the list. Only after you delete the profile and create it again setting it to the Automatic state will it show up. Basically, the SSID will never be seen in the list of avaliable networks unless its already connected to it.

Is this how non-broadcasted SSIDs are supposed to work or am I missing something?

edit: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1102.mspx
You cannot manually connect to a hidden wireless network if the Connect when this network is within range checkbox is cleared on the Connection tab for the properties of the preferred wireless network. Because the wireless network is hidden, it is not displayed in the Choose a wireless network dialog box and cannot be manually connected. You must select the Connect when this network is within range checkbox to connect to the hidden network.

That is all well and good, but I am unable to change the profile from Manual to Automatic without deleting and re-creating it.

jvlazzar said:
That is all well and good, but I am unable to change the profile from Manual to Automatic without deleting and re-creating it.

Been a problem ever since WZC was introduced. Once you hit [Disconnect] the profile is all but unless. Only way I've found to fix the problem is delete and rebuild as you already found out.

Back