budget

You can buy a decent 17 inch monitor at a local computer show for less than $50, it will most likely be used, but it should give you a couple years of good service. That will leave you with about $250 for a video card, and I know you can get either an EVGA GFX 5900SE or an ATI Radeon 9600Pro for less than that (both from www.newegg.com ).

First get a decent screen. Crap monitors are just plain nasty.
If you're interested in used screens http://www.merkortech.com usually has a nice selection.

If I had $300 to spend on a screen and vid card I'd probably get a quality 17" for about $200 or a used quality 19" for about the same price (shipped). That'd leave me w/ $100 for a vid card, which gets me a perfectly workable 4200.

On a budget a used monitor can be a great deal. You can often find Dell P1110's (21" trini tube) for less than $200 shipped, not sure what the equivalent 19" model number is. Leftovers from failed companies can be a budget shoppers dream:)

Used monitors are teh win. I have a 6yr. old Dell Trinitron 17in. Does 1600x1200@75Hz. Only cost me a TNT2 M64.:D

Its the only thing I havent replaced with my system.

that monitor has gotten good reviews, and was recomened to me by a sharkyforum person.

it will do till i can get my lcd ;)

Back