• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget Upgrade In Progress... your input?

ruin97140

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
114
I just bought this combo on Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.398184

Total came to 305.99 with rebate. :) good deal?

I have all the parts in my Signature still which I will be moving over the following innards- Hard Drives, Optical Drives, and Power Supply (question on this below)

I still want to get the following-

-CPU Cooloer- I dont want to spend a ton on one, but I want to try and hit 4.0ghz on air. according to reveiws that I have read, that is possible. Anyone doing just that on air?

-4GB of RAM (PC1600) I can't decided on a dual channel set, there are soo many! I would like to know if anyone has the same mobo and would recommend a pair? :)

-ATI HD 5850 (I know for a budget PC, this may seem a little high, but when I bought my 8800GTX it was $630.00, this seems like a great deal. :D) I have seen many different versions of this card. what would you all recommend?

-Sound question- Should I drop the X-fi into this PC build? its an older card, not sure if its worth it.

Now for the Enermax 850w Question- I looked on compatibilty chart and did not see my model of PSU for the 5850... my face just goes 0_o!! its 850W!!! I am not really that familiar with power consumption and/or requirements... Could anyone provide input on if this PSU is enough to power a 5850 or even 2 of them, I want to X-fire at a later date.

here is the PSU on newegg- http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817194020

Model Number: Egx850ewl

I think that covers it for now, sorry if this seems like a bunch of jabber, I only get the internet for an hour at work...

thanks in advance for any help/advice given!
 
For about $20 more, you could go with a six-core processor. I heard that it's a pretty decent overclocker, though I can't tell you how far you could push it.

Speaking of which, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is a good heatsink, but avoid NewEgg (overpriced) and Amazon (a 1-3 month waiting period) for the time being.

You shouldn't have any problems overclocking with the G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 kit.

XFX is one of the best brands to consider, but there's also Asus, Gigabyte, and VisionTek.

Try running your system with onboard sound before you consider reusing your X-Fi card.

With one HD 5850, the Enermax 850W PSU should work fine... but how old is it?
 
Hmm... I don't find that Phenom II X4 965 deal to be all that good compared to the Phenom II X4 955 combo deals. Also, for $330 you could have gotten an Intel Core I5-750 + Asus P55 mobo with Sata 6gb/s & USB 3.0

How did you get it down to $305.99? I thought after rebate it would be $324.98?
 
For about $20 more, you could go with a six-core processor. I heard that it's a pretty decent overclocker, though I can't tell you how far you could push it.

Speaking of which, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is a good heatsink, but avoid NewEgg (overpriced) and Amazon (a 1-3 month waiting period) for the time being.

You shouldn't have any problems overclocking with the G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 kit.

XFX is one of the best brands to consider, but there's also Asus, Gigabyte, and VisionTek.

Try running your system with onboard sound before you consider reusing your X-Fi card.

With one HD 5850, the Enermax 850W PSU should work fine... but how old is it?

I did consider the six core CPU... I might move to six core later down the road. :)

Like the cooler! Looks like a winner, ill have to search around for a deal.

that RAM seems to be the choice for many building on a budget, what about these- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303 the timings seem a little tighter? and its only a few bucks extra.

sorry for the crappy links, I don't know how to do the cool things in forums. :(

I was planning on going with XFX :) yay! that just confirms it, there are like 3 versions of HD 5850s though for XFX, no clue what the differences are...

thanks for the sound tip, not sure if its going to be worth plugging or not..

Power supply is back from 2007 I believe.
 
Hmm... I don't find that Phenom II X4 965 deal to be all that good compared to the Phenom II X4 955 combo deals. Also, for $330 you could have gotten an Intel Core I5-750 + Asus P55 mobo with Sata 6gb/s & USB 3.0

How did you get it down to $305.99? I thought after rebate it would be $324.98?

The Mobo had a 10% off Promo Code bringing the cost down to $305.99.

and as for Intel, I guess I should have stated in my post that I am an AMD fanboy. :p I know... Intel has the best CPU's... I wont argue with anyone about that. :D
 
RAM timings generally matter little while overclocking, as they often change to match the speed the RAM is running at.

SVC currently has the best deal around (in the US) for the Hyper 212 Plus, and unlike Amazon, it has plenty available now.

If you're planning on running resource-intensive programs and/or tasks (like Photoshop, video editing, or multiple VMs), you should consider getting the X6 1055T instead of the X4 955 BE. That's not a typo; since you plan on overclocking anyways, get the cheaper yet still effective X4 955 BE over the X4 965 BE. (All three processors have combo deals with the motherboard that you're considering.)
 
RAM timings generally matter little while overclocking, as they often change to match the speed the RAM is running at.

SVC currently has the best deal around (in the US) for the Hyper 212 Plus, and unlike Amazon, it has plenty available now.

If you're planning on running resource-intensive programs and/or tasks (like Photoshop, video editing, or multiple VMs), you should consider getting the X6 1055T instead of the X4 955 BE. That's not a typo; since you plan on overclocking anyways, get the cheaper yet still effective X4 955 BE over the X4 965 BE. (All three processors have combo deals with the motherboard that you're considering.)

Thanks for all the information! I am going to order that cooler form SVC, and go with the RAM you previously mentioned.

as for the CPU, I have already purchased the combo in my original thread. I agree with what your saying though, I could have gotten a better deal on a combo going with the X6 or the 955. :eek:

I am so excited to do a build for myself. I have done 6 builds for other people since my PC in the signature. :D
 
Just wanted to thank everyone for their assistance. :)

Upgrade Finished-

MOBO: MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor W/ Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus running 3.99Ghz (210X19) stock voltage, temps are 35 idle, 55 load.

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 running FSB:DRAM 1:4 840 Mhz (DDR 1680) stock voltage. 9-9-9-20 timings (stock)

GPU: SAPPHIRE TOXIC 100282TXSR Radeon HD 5850 running stock for now.

Total Cost: $782.97 (yeah its not so much of a budget upgrade with that GPU in there, but it was just too sexy to pass up :D)

Time to update my Signature :cool:

What do you guys think?
 
IMG_20100714_165541.jpg


uh just don't look directly at the picture and you wont notice the terrible cable management.

unfortunately the PSU has way too many cables, and the case does not provide any help to snake the cables behind the board...

Still its running great! :D
 
Back
Top