• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget System for 250 bucks.

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
12,439
Hey guys, probbaly gonna sell my set of z-5500's tomorrow for 200 bucks....

OK, Now I want a receiver, two towers for left and right for under 300 bucks... I think this is do-able? No dvd player or anything.. I already have those. And those towers must not need any extra subwoofers for bass.. they must be complete.. thank you.
 
wow, thank you, Ill look into it...

O BTW, the speakers pictures... when I click on "otherview" they show these speakers with an additional subwoofer.... do these lack bass response?
 
You are not gonna find much below 50Hz in your budget. ;)

The question is why floor standers (I assume that is what you mean by towers)?
It is generally held that bookshelf speakers offer you much better performance is that price range.
 
I see, so do these performs the same as a set of r15's bookshelfs? O and say I buy the setup you told me, and I want to add more money for a subwoofer, which would you recommend? and thanks for helping me out! I am such an audio noob :D

O and also.... I just tossed some old yamaha bookshelves into my z-5500's to replace the stock satellites..... I was BLOWN away.... I A/B them and the logitech's stock sounded like SH1T ...... no kidding..... the yamaha's were 8 ohms... 140watt maximum..... would you think a set of R15's to replace the front of my Z-5500's be safe? without burning the amp? the z-5500's supports 62watts per channel.. so as long as I keep the volume 50-60 % would I be safe?

This is just an excuse for an easy way out of upgrading for me.. without adding much money hehe.

O yah, since the R15's aren't on sale anymore at outpost for 50 bucks.. what other set of bookshelves with a similar drivability of 8 ohms or so would u recommend for driving off my logitech AMP for under 130 bucks or so as a pair.
 
Do you have enough room for floorstanders? Getting good placement is important, and another reason why bookshelves might be a better option.

Check out the Dayton 10" subwoofer for $100 on partsexpress.com. I have that paired with a set of Athena AS-B1 bookshelves (~$120) and a Onkyo TX-LR552 receiver (~$140) and there is no comparison to computer speakers. I did something similar with my set of Z-560's (replacing the fronts with bookshelves), but I found driving them with a receiver sounded much better (and probably safer). You might want to keep an eye out for used gear online to save some cash.
 
ok.... since I kinda wanna keep my z-5500's.... Ill do a small step upgrade...

I'll get some bookshelves right now.. as good as I can afford.. SOOO here is what I've found...

Athena AS-B1 140 bucks a pair. (seems to be discontinued, availible at small vendors... makes me nervous)

Infinity Primus 150 113 bucks a pair SHIPPED. I am leaning towards these... gets great reviews.. and at these prices they are a steal.

Polk M10 PAIR 114 SHIPPED. Not much about these... I think Polk is a great company?

any others suggestions is also good too thank you.
 
not to hi-jack, but what would everyone recommend in that price-range receiver-wise that has spdif?
 
Hm... looking for a bookshelf?

How about the following:

Klipsch B2
Polk R15 or RTi4 (if you can find this on ebay, probably the best buy @ around $150-170 mark).
Infinity Primus 150 like you mentioned
JBL whichever

That's pretty much some of the ones that are popular for hooking up to computer speaker amps.
 
OK, I narrowed it down to the infinity 150 or Polk R15... I know the Polk can be had for 50 bucks at outpost.. but i dont really care... they seem to go for 90 bucks for a pair.. and the infinity "seems" like a more quality product.... which is better.. regardless of price.
 
bah... you're right I do........... silly me I'll go test tomorrow :D
 
Vertigo Acid said:
not to hi-jack, but what would everyone recommend in that price-range receiver-wise that has spdif?

The other receiver I was considering when I was shopping around was the Onkyo TX-SR502 which also has SPDIF. It goes for $150 on JR.com refurbed. I went with my receiver (TX-LR552) cause I was limited on desk space and the smaller footprint was important to me.
 
I have a panasonic sa-xr50 (6x100w all digital amps) connected to fosgate monitors (on isloation cones, helps clean up the bass) coming off a ebay glass optical connection from my av-710. Sounds pretty good and does not do to bad with my kirksaeter silverline 220's or my senn hd600's. I bought the pana about a year ago for around $200.
 
Back
Top