Budget replacement CPU cooler

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Jifubuki, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Jifubuki

Jifubuki n00bie

I just recently built my very first pc just a few weeks ago and I am looking for some advice on replacing my cpu cooler. Mainly, if it is even worth replacing it as I have the i5-8400, so obviously no overclocking.

I have the Cryorig C7, given to me by a friend after he upgraded and moved his system to a larger case. It seems to be working just fine but something about the aesthetics just doesn't sit right with me. I have plenty of space as I have built in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG edition, so clearance isn't an issue. I think I'm just looking for something more pleasing to the eye as I understand the i5-8400 doesn't need a high end cooler to keep it under wraps. I've looked at some of Cryorig's offerings and appreciate their aesthetics, especially the black or white plating that sits on top of the cooler because I'm trying to keep with my black/white/gray color scheme. So my question is, would it even be worth it to replace the C7 with something a bit larger? If so, what would you all suggest? I'd like to keep the cost at or below $50.

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.

2. jmilcher

jmilcher 2[H]4U

Since performance isn't a metric you're using, I'd just do a search at your retailer of choice with your criteria. Find what you like and pull the trigger.

AlphaQup, pendragon1 and Jifubuki like this.
  3. NGX

NGX Gawd

Worth? Probably not unless you are looking for something that is more visually appealing or is going to quieter, then you might as well hold off for an AIO. That C7 should cool your proc just fine. It's rated for 100w TDP, and your proc is only 65w.

Jifubuki likes this.
  4. AlphaQup

AlphaQup Limp Gawd

Congrats on your first build, and welcome to [H]!

As jmilcher said, since performance isn't an issue (right now) I'd say pick whatever is visually appealing for you, a quick google search will tell you if it's junk or not.

That being said, might not hurt to think long-term before throwing down money down on an "ok" product you'll most likely want to replace if you decide to go with any K / Overclock-able processor in the future.

[H] has a pretty good number of reviews for coolers that can be found on their comparison charts at the bottom of any cooler review, ex: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/09/10/arctic_freezer_3_esports_one_cpu_air_cooler_review/3

Good luck!