Budget Point-to-Point?

kevinzak

Limp Gawd
The local high school wants to run wireless to the crow's nest overlooking their football field across the street from the main building. Wall to wall, I estimate the distance to be about 125 yards. There is line-of-sight, so point-to-point is an option but they're under a pretty tight budget due to cuts for the next fiscal year. Would point-to-point be the only option, and if so, is there any product even close to reasonably priced for consumer-grade wireless? Running a wire isn't an option, but maybe high-gain antennas could get a signal strong enough to establish a stable link and point-to-point is overdoing it?

Many companies produce line-of-sight outdoor wireless access points for just such a purpose. I know Cisco does, but there are probably less expensive options.

You'll also want a pair of directional antennas.

Right, I'm just asking for actual affordable solutions. This kit looks fantastic but I don't need a mile range and they would prefer something a little more affordable.

It's not necessarily too much in the long run, but it has to go through board approval, so they just want a couple of options -- one of which they'd like to get in a price range below $400 in case their first choice gets shot down.

Back