Budget machine for linux

Shwick

Ad Blocker - Banned
Joined
Mar 25, 2007
Messages
129
Hi guys,

I plan on buying a budget machine that I'm going to use to install/learn linux with. It will probably be running servers and compiling code, no gaming. This is what I've come up with:

MOBO $73.98 ASUS P5B-MX mATX 946GZ
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD1729&vpn=P5B-MX&manufacture=ASUS

RAM $90.30 Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 2X2GB
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11180BD2072&vpn=TWIN2X4096-6400C5&manufacture=CORSAIR

CPU $65.00 Core 2 Duo E2160 1.8GHz 1MB
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=12200BD3219&vpn=BX80557E2160&manufacture=INTEL

CASE $31.32 Compucase 6K11BB mATX Case
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=18310AC4963&vpn=6K11BB&manufacture=Compucase

PSU $25.17 FSP Fortron 350W ATX
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11730AC8288&vpn=ATX350-PNT&manufacture=FSP GROUP

DVD-RW $24.88 Samsung DVD+RW
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14040DR7425&vpn=SH-S203B/BEBN&manufacture=Samsung

FANS $10.26 Coolermaster 80MM Case Fan x2
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC2759&vpn=SAF-S84-E1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER

HD $0 Seagate Barracuda 250GB
got an extra

FILTER $6.50 80mm fan filter
http://cgi.ebay.ca/80mm-8cm-BLACK-A...oryZ3673QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TOTAL
$327.41

I will probably overclock the cpu to 2.4GHz.

Does this look like it fits together well? I've never done a mATX build before.

Also, I couldn't find linux chipset/graphics/sound/lan drivers for the motherboard on Asus's website- they only have windows. Does anyone know if there are linux drivers for this motherboard, where to find them, and why they wouldn't be posted on Asus's website?

Thanks.
 
If it is an Intel 945 based board linux has al the drivers needed built in.
 
Back
Top