• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget Gaming Graphics Card

Stu55

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
1,679
Whats a good >$100 graphics card for gaming? I am looking into a 6200, but anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
 
A refurb 9800 Pro is your best bet, grab it at Newegg. Just make sure the card has a 256bit bus.

If you dont want to buy refurb, then a 6200 would be okay. Just make sure you grab the 128bit bus version of the 6200 if you want to go that way.
 
I would get a 6200tc over a refurb 9800 anyday. Half the price, pretty well same performance, and less of a chance it will be a pos.
 
We need to know if the board you are going to put the video card in supports PCI-Express. If it doesn't, I would say grab a 6800NU for 190 off the egg, Or if thats too expensive get a 6600GT.
 
Glow said:
I would get a 6200tc over a refurb 9800 anyday. Half the price, pretty well same performance, and less of a chance it will be a pos.

If he wants a gaming card that's sub $100 then a 9800 Pro is his best bet. Newegg's refurb's are great, many many people here buy them. A 9800 Pro is much better than a 6200 in the first place, a 6200TC would look terrible against it.
 
Juan Sanchez said:
I've seen 6600's and X700's (non GT and Pro) for under a hundred.

X700 > 6600. 6600GT > X700 Pro. But, both the 6600GT and X700Pro is out of his price range. And the 9800 Pro > X700 > 6600. And is inside of his price range if he goes with one of the great deals that Newegg's refurb section is. If he doesnt want to go with the 9800 Pro, then either a 6600 or X700 would do great, if he's into OCing then I'd suggest getting the 6600, but if you want to run at stock then the X700.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102362R
 
Glow said:
I would get a 6200tc over a refurb 9800 anyday. Half the price, pretty well same performance, and less of a chance it will be a pos.


:eek: :eek: :confused:

What benchmarks were you looking at? A 9800pro is comparable to a 6600GT... A 6200 with turbo cache is more like 1/6 the performance of a 9800!

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware...rsus_ati_x300_se_hypermemory/images/pf800.gif

If you look the 6200TC is barely ahead of a 9200SE... Even a 9600non-pro would crush the 6200TC in everything and the 9800pro is twice as fast as a 9600.
 
6600 non-gt, 9800 pro, or 6600gt

In order of worst to best. (with in keeping with the prices I last knew of)

~Adam
 
Sorry, I forgot to mention it has to be AGP, and it's not like I will be gaming all the time with like HL2, and Doom 3, its just going to be a little cheap gaming server pc. But I will look into a 6600.
 
Stu55 said:
Sorry, I forgot to mention it has to be AGP, and it's not like I will be gaming all the time with like HL2, and Doom 3, its just going to be a little cheap gaming server pc. But I will look into a 6600.

If its a server then it doesnt need a video card that has any power at all, just get the cheapest decent 2D card you can fine that supports Direct X 9 and has a 128bit bus.
 
Glow said:
I would get a 6200tc over a refurb 9800 anyday. Half the price, pretty well same performance, and less of a chance it will be a pos.


You do realize hat TC means turbo cache?

Well lets see maybe you don't knwo what that means.

It uses your system RAM just liek integrated. Therfore

TC= teh SUXORZ
 
Skrying said:
If its a server then it doesnt need a video card that has any power at all, just get the cheapest decent 2D card you can fine that supports Direct X 9 and has a 128bit bus.

Sorry, I also forgot to mention that it will also be used as an extra pc for a LAN party. So that's why I need a decent video card.
 
Why not just grab the Newegg refurb 9800 Pro then? $86 for a great card still is a amazing deal and the card wont have any problems running current games at 1024x768 at either high or medium detail levels, and on games like CS:S it can easily do 1024x768 at high with 2xAA and 4xAF.
 
Back
Top