• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget friendly and Haswell compatible

runs2far

Gawd
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
954
I have been a happy buyer of Corsair CX430 and Seasonic S12II 430, as they have provided a good combination of enough power, OK/good build quality and a low price.

But both the above units are not considered Haswell compatible.
I know it's possible to disable C6 and C7 sleep, but I find it stupid to buy a PSU that isn't properly compatible with the system I hook it up to.
Being able to support the low power draw at Haswell C6 and C7 conditions will probably be a requirement for all AMD and Intel based systems in the future.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a well build budget PSU that is Haswell compatible?
 
I just picked up an EVGA Haswell compatible 80+ unit for $39, it was way more power than I needed but for the price was the best buy. Using it in my super-budget Haswell Pentium build.
 
I have been a happy buyer of Corsair CX430 and Seasonic S12II 430, as they have provided a good combination of enough power, OK/good build quality and a low price.

But both the above units are not considered Haswell compatible.
I know it's possible to disable C6 and C7 sleep, but I find it stupid to buy a PSU that isn't properly compatible with the system I hook it up to.
Being able to support the low power draw at Haswell C6 and C7 conditions will probably be a requirement for all AMD and Intel based systems in the future.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a well build budget PSU that is Haswell compatible?
Most power users will not use these features. It may not be a feature of new high end power supplies.

But you will probably see it supported be revisions of low end reliable power supplies.
 
I just picked up an EVGA Haswell compatible 80+ unit for $39, it was way more power than I needed but for the price was the best buy. Using it in my super-budget Haswell Pentium build.

Not bad, but all I can find on it is that it's a HEC design, 34 amps on 12V and rated at 40C.
I will keep my eyes on this one, and hope a good review pops up soon :)

My current best alternative is the SeaSonic G 450, it's a bit of a bump over the old S12II and not yet available in my region.

Most power users will not use these features. It may not be a feature of new high end power supplies.

But you will probably see it supported be revisions of low end reliable power supplies.

Yes it's not a power user feature, but I mainly build for people who want a bit of balance on a budget and when they don't game on it, they want stuff like C6 and C7 to work, helps with the wife acceptance factor ;)

Additionally the PSU may be reused for a build down the road, and we do not know when motherboard makers could decide to remove the C6 and C7 options.

The funny part of the Haswell certification, is that all the expensive models got tested right away, and all the cheap ones have been left undocumented or in a "To be Determined" status by the PSU manufacturers.
 
I'd recommend the EVGA units, mine works flawlessly with my Haswell build.
 
I should probably mention, the EVGA unit i found based on ToddW2's info is a EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR 430W.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find anything on the actual build quality of this unit.

EDIT:
I am starting to fear that unit and I find it hard to believe it has been properly tested for Haswell.

[H] reviewed the 500B back in december 2013, about $15 more expensive right now, it featured OK build quality and an ancient design.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/16/evga_500b_500w_power_supply_review/1

Chances are, the 430 unit has the same design, but cheaper brand caps and and the same level of ratings.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top