• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget computer for a friend.....

BigGreg85

Gawd
Joined
Jun 19, 2003
Messages
910
My friend wants me to build him a budget computer...between $400-$500

just need...

motherboard
processor
RAM
videocard
Case/PSU

what would you suggest....Intle or AMD?

Thank you

Greg
 
If performance is not a consideration, Via C3 is fantastic. Soltek has a Qbic system with a built Via C3 1GHz: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=56-150-016&depa=0 I have a Via C3 system myself (not the Qbic I linked to though), and can attest that it is quite compatible with Windows, and does a good job running web browsers, word processors, instant messaging, etc. I have it up 24/7 as an e-mail/IM/spyware sweeper box. $180 for it, $40 for 256MB of RAM, $60 for an HDD (I'd get a Samsung), and whatever CD/DVD drive you prefer and you've got a functional box in a great package for less than $400. It would also be a breeze to move/setup at school etc and the system will be next to silent with all of the fans turned down - a 1GHz C3 only pulls ~ 12 watts. However - any CPU intensive tasks will take FOREVER on a C3 system. It performs roughly on par with a PIII 600 / Celeron 700. I wanted to open a 150MB ZIP file on my C3 - it was faster to copy it my 3GHz P4, unzip it there, and copy the extracted files back to the C3 box ;) Also, any sort of high performance graphics are out of the quesiton - it only has a PCI slot.
 
cheap intel motherboard / cheap nforce2 motherboard
P4 2.0-2.4 / AXP 2200-2600+
256mb DDR
onboard/ cheapo video
40-80gb hitachi HDD
onbaord sound


blammo, best bang for the under $500 buck, and it's got upgrade potential. and if you play your cards right, you can get a 754 board and a sempron 64 bit chip
 
Well he is gonna wants some power, because he will be playing Nights of the Old Republic II.

I was thinking going the 64-bit AMD path.

I have a HDD for him...

what motherboard processor and RAM would you recommend....I was thinking the AMD 939 3000+


thoughts?
 
Back
Top