Budget Case better than CM 690?

Deathwish238

Limp Gawd
I need a budget case...I'm thinking about the CM 690. I've pretty much ruled out the Antec Nine Hundred. I want to keep it under $100.

Anything else I should consider?

I'm probably going to be running a Radeon 4850 X2(might run two one day) and a Phenom II X4 920.

I suppose Airflow is a big priority. I also want it to look clean. I didn't know Lian Li made cheaper cases....

Is the Antec 300 better than the CM 690? I've looked at it...but it just doesn't seem as nice...

Eh, its cheaper.

The 690 seems nicer definitely, but you were asking for budget.

Maybe an Antec Sonata and sell the included PSU?

the A05 is a great sexy case. not to flashy and its made really well. you know its high quality.

only thing that would be an issue is that if you wanna run two 4850x2 in xfire then they might get a bit toasty in there.

How difficult would it be to improve the airflow of the A05? What about watercooling it in the future?

a lot of people drill out blowholes on top.... its pretty easy to do. if you search online you can find guides. heres an example of a well excuted blowhole.

A LOT of people watercool in the a05... check out the massive thread dedicated to the case.

should give all the info you need. its because of that thread i bought the case :D

Well...as long as I have a midsize, I'm fine. I would love a full tower...just don't really need one and it would be a hassle in the future.

Checking out the Lian Li links...

ive had the cm690 and antec 300, cm690 is notably quieter (hdds and fans)

Good to know, I've pretty much ruled out the 300.

I'm now debating between the CM 690 and Lian Li A05. The A05 is so pretty and all aluminum. I'm surprised people have been able to watercool it!

Other than price little things.

The CM 690 has the Power button on the side not a fan of that.
I like the MC 590 HD cage better it's like the stacker I think.

The CM 690 has bigger legs so if you put your computer on carpet it will help for that, when i bought my case it didn't go on carpet now it does so the legs of the cm690 would be helpful.

I run 4x140MM fans 3x120mm fans all hooked up to a fan controller. I used grommets for spacers for each fan and over all it is quiet considering how cool it keeps my computer.

It depends on what you mean by "better." That's kinda vague.

Better cooling? I kind of doubt it. I personally think the Lancool K7B is better looking, quieter (from what I have heard about the CM690) and higher quality to boot. I modded mine for slightly superior cooling as I removed the rear fan grill (that was on the inside), dremelled the outer fan grill out, put trim on the rear fan hole it and added a wire fan grill to the rear.

The CM690 of course has it's advantage as a platform for cheap overclocking without much regard to noise its hard to beat. But I am sporting a lazy easy 20% overclock with zero heating issues so I don't really care.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112154

I personally think its the case steal of the industry right now. Its still lighter then a normal case but seeing I don't move it around enough I do like the idea of the steel interior for strength and vibration dampening. Plus LIan Li knows how to make cases that look great on the web and in person. You can't beat an entire front of brushed aluminum that just comes off. And it's pretty easy to build too, IMHO. Some would say its not "tooless" enough but I much prefer real metal parts and using a screwdriver to plastic.

Also I think the dimensions are just about perfect. It's big enough to fit all your modern components in a normal build but not like a "full tower." Full towers incidentally offer less cooling then midtowers with the same fans as you can have pockets of air trapped.. But I digress.

Pete

Other than price little things.

The CM 690 has the Power button on the side not a fan of that.
I like the MC 590 HD cage better it's like the stacker I think.

The CM 690 has bigger legs so if you put your computer on carpet it will help for that, when i bought my case it didn't go on carpet now it does so the legs of the cm690 would be helpful.

I run 4x140MM fans 3x120mm fans all hooked up to a fan controller. I used grommets for spacers for each fan and over all it is quiet considering how cool it keeps my computer.

Which fans do you use?

It depends on what you mean by "better." That's kinda vague.

Better cooling? I kind of doubt it. I personally think the Lancool K7B is better looking, quieter (from what I have heard about the CM690) and higher quality to boot. I modded mine for slightly superior cooling as I removed the rear fan grill (that was on the inside), dremelled the outer fan grill out, put trim on the rear fan hole it and added a wire fan grill to the rear.

The CM690 of course has it's advantage as a platform for cheap overclocking without much regard to noise its hard to beat. But I am sporting a lazy easy 20% overclock with zero heating issues so I don't really care.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112154

I personally think its the case steal of the industry right now. Its still lighter then a normal case but seeing I don't move it around enough I do like the idea of the steel interior for strength and vibration dampening. Plus LIan Li knows how to make cases that look great on the web and in person. You can't beat an entire front of brushed aluminum that just comes off. And it's pretty easy to build too, IMHO. Some would say its not "tooless" enough but I much prefer real metal parts and using a screwdriver to plastic.

Also I think the dimensions are just about perfect. It's big enough to fit all your modern components in a normal build but not like a "full tower." Full towers incidentally offer less cooling then midtowers with the same fans as you can have pockets of air trapped.. But I digress.

Pete

Wait a sec...is the Lancool just a bigger A05? That appeals to me a lot...ahh, but it doesn't have bottom mounted PSU

I love my c690 other than the crap location of the power button and it's feels like the button on a toy... other than that the case rocks.

I just ordered a refurbished CM 690 from cooler master's store website. It was pretty much brand new (I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference other than the fact that I knew it was refurbished). $50 for a great case. Might want to consider that.

Wait a sec...is the Lancool just a bigger A05? That appeals to me a lot...ahh, but it doesn't have bottom mounted PSU

Looks wise perhaps but it's layout is much better, IMHO. Plus it has a steel interior. Top mounted PSU's work fine IMHO. It will clear out more heat then a bottom mounted one. The advantage of a bottom mounted one of course is to "isolate" the PSU from heat and it helps a bit with wiring. But it's not really a deal breaker for me..

Yeah, but if I have the top free I can slap in 2 140mm fans which works wonders for heat. It also gives me a better option to place a radiator should I watercool in the future.

Back