• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget Cards

Prmetime

n00b
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
30
I have been trying to follow the other graphic chip manufacturers for a couple of years. I'm not going to say that XGI or S3 are the equals of Big Green or Big Red. However it does appear that the Chrome S27 does appear to be a usable card. What I'm wondering is if anyone here has used any of the XGI Volari or the new S3 Chrome cards? If so what were your thoughts? Please include more info than they were great or they were crap.
 
don't bother with those, those are PURE crap. Go with an ATI or NVIDIA cards they have a better budget cards. Either Radeon X1600 PRO or Geforce 6600 are the best.
 
Freako said:
don't bother with those, those are PURE crap. Go with an ATI or NVIDIA cards they have a better budget cards. Either Radeon X1600 PRO or Geforce 6600 are the best.
Way to get into detail a little more than just crap :). You've got a valid point though about the the big guys having better budget cards.
 
The XGI and S3 chipsets are only really practible for home or office desktop viewing environments. They lose out over ATI and nVidia in terms of image quality and they of course won't play games as well as their offerings either.
 
Gentlemen, I appreciate your opinions onthe matter. I understand that nVidia and ATI are the reigning 500 pound Gorilla of the video card market. However, I am interested inhearing from people that have an actual S3 or XGI card. Is there anyone out there who does?
 
i have an old s3 trio 3d card in the closet,its only good for non 3d work,like MS word
 
:p That is pretty good. I guess no one here has tried anything else. Not a surprise. As I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, I was just looking for some other input.
 
The best S3 card would get owned by a 9800PRO.

OT: Why did you decide to revive a thread this old? Almost worth it to just start a new one...
 
Hmm... guess I was mistaken if those 3dMark scores are correct. The real problem with the S3s though is that the limited driver support means that some games (IE., FarCry) won't even run at all.

Still, don't get me started on GPUReview...
 
Still, don't get me started on GPUReview...

Is there a problem with GPU review? I have found them useful but I am not aware of any problems so I would appreciate any info you may have.

The real problem with the S3s though is that the limited driver support means that some games (IE., FarCry) won't even run at all.

I have heard there are some driver issues with S3 and I can't argue against that. However many of the reviews I have read about show the Chrome 27 working with newer games than Far Cry. Admittedly I do not know from personal experience so I can't prove that. I must admit that I am curious though.
 
Back
Top