• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Budget card heat questions

S

splinter3k

Guest
Here's something to take your mind of waiting for you GT6800 for a few minutes. I have a Shuttle SK41G with Linux that is my main machine. It runs like a champ and is pretty quiet with a little tweaking, and of course a passively cooled video card. Right now I have an eVGA GeForce4 MX 440-8X in there and it's fine for what I do (very little gaming on this box) but I have a chance to get a FX5200 (128 bit) for free if I wanted. Now I know there is virtually no performance gain with this card, at least not enough to crow about. My question is, which core runs cooler? I have heard the FX cards run cooler at idle/2d than the MX440 cores, is this true? If so I will swap because I can always run cooler, but if not I'll just leave it as is and put the FX5200 on eBay?
 
I would do the FX5200 128MB. I know you said you don't game a lot, and it does run at a low tempurature, but now you gain DX9 and 128MB of memory (even if those things don't mean that much, its still something). This way if a new version of windows uses DX9 for rendering a desktop or a screensaver or something, you will support that.
 
While all of that is true, I run Linux so DX9 means nothing to me. But if the FX runs cooler by design that would swing it for me, no question about it, even if only by a couple degrees.
 
Back
Top