• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Budget 2.1 set up w/ receiver

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
4,312
I currently have the Creative 7.1 P7800 speakers and they have been excellent. I bought them ~6 years ago for $50 shipped on newegg. That is outstanding bang for buck.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116153

However, they have been showing their age lately. Plus in my current set up I can't take advantage of true surround sound. I would like to pieces together a set up that has a receiver so I have some more flexibility. I feel like any somewhat modern speakers will be better then the quality I have now. I would like a receiver that is capable of 5.1 because I will probably end up getting more speakers down the road. However, cost is my main priority now and since this system will be cheap it wouldn't hurt me to upgrade down the road anyway.

What can I expect to pay for a budget 2.1 system? Any recommendations?
 
my absolute favorite entry level 2.1, bang for the buck:
Dayton Dta-100a $100
Dayton B652 (pair) $45
Dayton Sub 1000 $100

your looking at about $250.


also, you can skip the sub for now....and add it later, saving you $100. those daytons have decent bass.
and you can sub in different speakers, and a 5.1 amp if you want altering price.

second option that would be closer in footprint to your creative except receiver:
Dayton Audio SAT-BK (pair, smaller speakers if space is of concern) $40
->alternate Polk TL1 (pair, $120)
Mono Price 8" Subwoofer ($60)
Denon AVR-1612 ($200)

total $300-$380.

third option:
skip the av reciever for now, and go with the lepai TA2020+. add the av receiver at the same time you add the other 3 speakers, and retire the lepai.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

At first glance I would want to go with your first option. If you can vouch for the bass on the speakers I will skip the sub. Worst case scenario I can pick one up a day or so later.

Where is a good place to shop for audio equipment? Just something where It will have a wide selection that can be sorted (by price, reviews, etc) so I can get an idea of what quality/features I can expect at certain price points.

It looks like the Dayton and the Lepai both have RCA output only. What would I do to be able to connect that to my computer?
 
How would I go about connecting RCA to my computer?

In regards to the Onkyo (linked below, posted by SirMaster). It's 50w/ch. So does that mean It's not worth looking at any speakers that are rated above 50w because it will be distorted?

Onkyo TX 8255
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8255B-TX-8255-Stereo-Receiver/dp/tech-data/B001AMSPQI/ref=de_a_smtd

Sherwood RX-4105 and RX-4109
http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-4...qid=1340978297&sr=1-1&keywords=Audio+receiver
http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-4...qid=1340978329&sr=1-2&keywords=Audio+receiver
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How would I go about connecting RCA to my computer?

In regards to the Onkyo (linked below, posted by SirMaster). It's 50w/ch. So does that mean It's not worth looking at any speakers that are rated above 50w because it will be distorted?

Yeah, but 50w is plenty of power for bookshelves. Most even larger multi-driver bookshelves don't need 50w per channel. Only when you get into floor standing or really hi-fi speakers do you go ever see needs above 50w.

For example, 15w per channel is enough to drive those 6.5" B652 Dayton bookshelves to loud volumes.

It also depends on your listening volume for how much wattage you really need.

That Dayton T-Amp is really only 30w per channel. It's 30w at 0.01% THD At 50w like they claim it can power it's actually around 10% THD.
 
Yeah, but 50w is plenty of power for bookshelves. Most even larger multi-driver bookshelves don't need 50w per channel. Only when you get into floor standing or really hi-fi speakers do you go ever see needs above 50w.

It also depends on your listening volume for how much wattage you really need.

That Dayton T-Amp is really only 30w per channel. It's 30w at 0.01% THD At 50w like they claim it can power it's actually around 10% THD.

At this point in time I won't have them crazy high because I live in an apartment. I would imagine even the most basic speakers can play at the volume I want, it's just a matter of how clear they are.
 

Don't get the Sherwood, sherwood is generally regarded as not being very good (with the exception of sherwood newcastle)

You're better off with this onkyo if you don't want to spend more than $100

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...255-50-watts-2-channel-Stereo-Receiver/1.html


under no circumstance should you get those sony speakers, sony speakers are shite.
These will be better for the same coin.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...lassic-II-Bookshelf-Speaker-Each-Black/1.html

However if you can manage $175 then get the EMPTek bookshelves on sale. These are really good speakers.Much better than the other options and speakers make the biggest difference in sound quality.

http://store.audioholics.com/brand/emp/summer-sale/emp-e5bir.html
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://zaphaudio.com/Dayton-B652.html - here is a review of the Dayton b652 bookshelf speakers - they're definitely not bad for the money, but my opinion is that they don't produce good midbass. Compared to regular computer speakers, however, they probably fare well.

Some of the studio monitors (featuring at least 8" mids and a waveguide tweeter) are a fairly good deal. I had recommended the Behringer 2031's, but I just realized that the version I listened to was probably modified...I also noticed that others seem to prefer KRK 8's v2, Yamaha NS10, etc... but in general, I like the dispersion patterns offered by studio monitors - they offer something closer to a constant directivity, which is difficult to do with pistonic transducers.

Here are some of my DIY opinions - which I mistakenly posted in the HotDeals forum :( : http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038876286&postcount=31 - and of course...even these will fall short of that constant directivity goal - using a waveguide on the tweeter (something I like to do) may help - but I wanted to list simpler designs.

Anyway... for the price, the regular recommendations made here are probably your best bet... larger speakers will get you more bass, on average. Vented enclosures will help augment the lower-end as well.

http://zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html - something like this might be another good price/performance option...but the quoted prices are no longer true, so...blah... darn.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top