Budget 1156 cooler

Derfnofred

Gawd
I have orders queued up at Newegg and Tigerdirect for my folks new computer and I was wondering if I missed any good deals for an inexpensive cooler (less than $40) from either vendor. I have an i7-860 that I'd be more than happy at 3.6 GHz or so.

Is the Hyper 212+ from newegg my best bet for the moment? It seems like I shouldn't need anything beefier for my spec. Oh, and what paste to add? AS5?

Well--actually it's cheapest at amazon, with free shipping so add amazon into the mix ;-)

Case is a p180 mini.

Thanks guys,
D

I have a i7 860 @ 3.53ghz 1.33V vcore (EVGA dummy OC).

Idle Temps ~44C Load Temps ~58C

I am using a Cooler Master TX-3 as the cooler with the included paste: http://www.svc.com/rr-910-htx3-gp.html . $15

I imagine the Hyper 212 Plus would perform much better. My roommate has one and it is much bigger (92mm vs 120mm) and has an extra heat pipe. I went with the TX-3 however because the 212 wouldn't fit in my case due to a 230mm fan on the side panel.

Other relevant information: I am using a Thermaltake V9 case and ambient temperature is ~70-75F.

Thanks guys--the Hyper 212 is $30 from amazon, so that works for me.

rmdealer--you linked to a huge, impressive case. I'm sure it works well, but I can't see how to interface it between my cpu and my heatsink ;-)

The TRUE Spirit is $36 at SVC, includes a fan and performs better than any of the CM coolers.

With regards to TIMs any of the top ones are within a few degrees of each other. The best one currently is Indigo Xtreme and that's $10 a mount. The next best is the Shin-Etsu X23-7783D but it can be hard to source. MX-2, OCZ Freeze, and IC Diamond are about equal. If you've got the cash I would highly suggest going for the Indigo - $20 gets you two mounts and a good 2C off the Shin-Etsu and while that may not seem like a lot, consider that you can pay $30 more for another heatsink that'll do almost the same.

Idiot question: what's the part number for the 1156 adapter on the Cogage True? That's what's been holding me up ;-)

Thanks!

Back