BSoDs galore during windows 7 installation

ShoeLace

Gawd
I've had Windows 7 installed for about 2 years now. I haven't had to reinstall since I originally installed it. My motherboard is an abit ib-9 and I had to turn off EIST in the bios otherwise Windows 7 would BSoD constantly during installation.

I formatted and went to reinstall last night but it kept BSoDing at "extracting files" and EIST was turned off since last time. It was pretty hot last night (97F in my room during the install) but I put in a good heat sink a few months ago and my temps are very close to the ambient temp in my room.

I got 3 BSoDs at different points during "extracting files" until I decided to give up and try again today. The only difference between tonight and an hour ago was:

1. It's quite a bit cooler.
2. I turned EIST back on the bios and then off, but I never saved and exited.
3. I physically wiped the DVD clean even though it was already clean. It's been sitting in a box in my closest in total darkness for about 2 years.

It installed without any issues when I tried this morning and during the 2 years of having it installed I didn't BSoD once. I also played games, ran multiple virtual machines and all that fun stuff.

What do you guys think caused it to work today? #2 is 99% not the cause because I didn't save and exit unless a 5 year+ old BIOS automatically saves settings without you saving and somehow the act of turning it on and off again made it work but that seems really far fetched.

Well, my first inclination would be bad RAM or hardware/heat problems with the machine itself.
But considering the machine ran fine without any BSODs previously makes me lean toward a bad DVD drive. I'm willing to bet you barely use that DVD drive, so if it's defective the problem probably wouldn't present itself until it had to read a huge amount of files.

Make sure your motherboard doesn't have any bulging capacitors.

Around the time that Abit went the way of the Dodo, most mfgs and OEMs were having issues with capacitors being faulty.

I am actually surprised that the board is even functioning at all.

@maw,
Yeah I pretty much never use it. I've burnt a few DVDs though and it was ok. It also ended up working in the end. It also got past the "copying files" part (before extracting) every time.

@cyclone3d,
Nothing looks out of the ordinary. I'm kind of surprised too. I think this machine is approaching 5 years old and tbh it's still running super solid.

Memtest +

Test 3,5 and 7. 20 passes each.

If you can't pass that, don't bother to even try to install windows.

I agree with MAW, bad RAM was the first thought that hit me when I read the first post

I'll run memtest tonight. This machine only has 2GB of ram too. If the ram were bad I wonder why it hasn't shown up yet because I routinely push close to the full 2GB in normal computer usage.

Back