BSOD Stop error 0x0000004f

steven1110

Limp Gawd
Trying to fix a friends dell laptop. Keeps getting the BSOD stop error 0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x838bc280, 0x838bc3cc, 0x80eaa4bo)

Background: Nothing new has been installed anytime lately, sofeware or hardware. The only thing that happened is she dropped it. I haven't opened it up to see if anything inside is jarred but the corner of the case has a small hunk busted off.

Everytime it boots it goes into the Startup repair and that's when it BSOD's. I've tried safe mode and same thing happens. I'm not able to get into windows at all. I also tried a windows repair from the disc...nothing new.

That's about all I have...anybody have any ideas? All I can think of now is open it up to see if anything has been jarred loose or do a windows reinstall which, of course, is last option.

Thanks.

Update: I allowed the startup recovery to run through again after the Windows Recovery boot and instead of going for 2 mins and then BSOD, this time it went about 30min and gave a new BSOD code...

Driver_Power_State_Failure
Stop: 0x0000009f and it shut down on me so I couldn't get the rest of it...:(

Low numbered error codes are usually memory related.

Try re-seating the memory in the slots.

I re-sat the memory, hard drive, dvd drive, cpu, and heatsink to make sure they didn't get jarred. Booted up and went straight into startup recovery and after about 30 minutes it gave me the drive_power_state_failure error again.

Last idea I have is to put the laptop hard drive into my home computer and copy everything over to try to save some of the information that's on it. Would there be any problems with doing that? And then just reinstall windows and see if it's good after that.

Any more ideas?

Back