BSOD PFN_LIST_ERROR makes me sad; need to test RAM to isolate problem; what software?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
BSOD PFN_LIST_ERROR makes me sad; need to test RAM to isolate problem; what software?

I always hear about software for Windows XP that tests your memory. But, just never knew what's out there and what's good to use. Any ideas???

It's an HP 873N Home Theater PC (if it can even be called that).

Thanks!

-Lukas

At work I see it somewhat often (last time was about 2 weeks ago). It was indeed bad RAM.

Bad RAM causes many problems, some you wouldn't expect. I had a dell Dimension 4100 (beige tower) that I was reinstalling windows 2000 on. It kept saying the BIOS was not fully ACPI compliant (which was bullshit), I replaced the RAM, and that fixed it.

At work I see it somewhat often (last time was about 2 weeks ago). It was indeed bad RAM.

Bad RAM causes many problems, some you wouldn't expect. I had a dell Dimension 4100 (beige tower) that I was reinstalling windows 2000 on. It kept saying the BIOS was not fully ACPI compliant (which was bullshit), I replaced the RAM, and that fixed it.

I'll be running it overnight... I'll let you know the results. It's weird, though.

Also, isn't PC2100 and PC3200 compatible with each other??? I had a 512MB of PC2100 and a 1GB stick of PC3200. Would that affect it?

I removed both and inserted a new 1GB Ampo stick of PC3200.

We'll see.... I really want this to work - it already sucked up too much of my time, effort, health, and probably cut my life short by a few days since I didn't get any sleep last night.

Oh man... I need to go to bed. Good nite...

Also, isn't PC2100 and PC3200 compatible with each other??? I had a 512MB of PC2100 and a 1GB stick of PC3200. Would that affect it?

Yes and no. I have a machine in my rack (its not a rack mount system though), that was once my main gaming machine. I have in it: 1 256MB PC2100 1 256mb PC3200 and 1 512mb PC3200 stick. All three are running at pc2700 specs. DDR was actually designed to be backwards compatible with slower DDR sticks, much like some PC133 SDRAM works fine with PC100 SDRAM.

YRMV, I have noticed that Buffalo Select DDR PC3200 hates being mixed with other speeds, and hates Dell computers. It depends on if you are running a Dual Channel DDR board or not, not dual channel boards don't seem to care as much. Its not just the ram sticks being compatible, its if your MB (or CPU in the case of A64's IMC) will accept that ram. Laptops OTH, are a 'nother story.

Its not generally recommended to mix ram speeds, but if the system is stable when they are both in, and its performing well, it shouldn't hurt. That machine of mine has been through 2 MB replacments with the last one being 1 1/2 years ago, due to bad powersupplys. I couldnt afford better at the time, which is also why I have mixed speeds of ram, some I had, some I was given.

How did it work with the single ampo stick? ampo is pretty good in my experience.

Back