BSOD on XP Install

Screwz Luse

Limp Gawd
So, I finally got around to building my girlfriend a computer. Everything is new except the RAM, Power Supply, and DVD drive, all of which are old parts I had "lying around" from an old computer. So, I booted the comp and tried installing Windows XP SP2. It got past the "Installing Network" section, into completing setup when a BSOD pops up "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT." I read somewhere that it might be a memory issue, so I turned off the comp and left only one stick of RAM in (256MB) in DIMM1. I booted the PC, restarted the setup completely and around the same part, the BSOD came up with a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT problem. I'm not sure what the issue is. Does it sound like an issue with the RAM (should I buy new replacements)? The specs for the comp are below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MOB: ABit KV7
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
RAM: 768MB PC2100 (256MB x3)
VID: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
HD: 200GB 7200RPM (Wester Digital I think)
PSU: Antec Truepower 380W

Download Memtest86 and run it overnight or until you get an error. If you see errors you'll know the RAM is bad.

Sorry, late reply/update. Well, I ran memtest and found that 2 of the 3 sticks were showing a lot of errors on test 5 (I tested each stick seperately). There was one that I ran for 9.5 hours that showed no errors. I tried running Windows XP setup again and recieved the "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" error again. I'd really like some help on this. It has to be either the hard drive, cd drive, or ram. I have no idea what else it could be but I don't want to go replacing parts until it works as it could get expensive. Any help would be awesome.

there is a 99% chance its your RAM. Or your Mobo not liking the RAM type.

It still points to RAM as being the issue. Strange that you'd get the error still after the one stick passed 9 hours of memtest. Could it be an incompatibility with the RAM as someone else stated? Do you have the latest BIOS for the mobo? Do you have any more known working RAM that's a little faster? That board will support PC3200.

I'd start with the BIOS. Flash or reset it. Then try a stick of RAM out of another computer.

If neither fixes the problem RMA the board.

Screwz Luse said:
Sorry, late reply/update. Well, I ran memtest and found that 2 of the 3 sticks were showing a lot of errors on test 5 (I tested each stick seperately). There was one that I ran for 9.5 hours that showed no errors. I tried running Windows XP setup again and recieved the "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" error again. I'd really like some help on this. It has to be either the hard drive, cd drive, or ram. I have no idea what else it could be but I don't want to go replacing parts until it works as it could get expensive. Any help would be awesome.
Uh...you tested three sticks, got two with errors, then ran setup again with all three or just the good one? Prudence dictates that I ask rather than assume you only tried to install with the one good stick of RAM.

Also, re-seat everything. Never know where there's a loose connection causing you trouble.

heh.. I tested each stick individually and then tried to install Windows with the one stick that was found to be "good." I'm planning on testing some PC3200 RAM that I know is good in the comp and seeing if that's the problem. I kinda hope it is as RAM's cheap and I hate RMAing components. heh

Back