BSOD help

Tylander

Limp Gawd
My dad's HP has been getting random BSODs lately. At first I thought it was a virus related issue, so I reinstalled windows. Now it gets them right after he logs in and the desktop is loading. The BSOD says:

*** Hardware Malfunction

Call your hardware vendor for support

NMI: Parity check / Memory Parity Error

***The system has halted ***

The system is a 2400+, 512 samsung 2100, geforce2, asus mobo(i'll try to find out which one), and that's all i know. All help is greatly appreciated. :)

That is a hardware problem. Try swaping the memory out or removing one stick if u are r unning 2x256. Also make sure the bios is up to date.

I am running 2x512mb

I have tried running 1x512 witht eh samsung
and 1x512 witht the kingston.

both end in BSODs

I will look for a bios update if I can ever find it....

I might go trade in a 9600xt and get new PSU seeing that I am broke
:(

I'll run those utilities and post what happens. And BTW, it is a fresh copy of windows and the only drivers i've put on are the latest nvidia ones.

Have yet to run memtest, but it passed DFT. I noticed it was crashing when avg was loading at startup. So I uninstalled that in safe mode, and now it runs fine until i do something like run an app or open My Computer or breathe. :mad:

Tylander said:
Have yet to run memtest, but it passed DFT. I noticed it was crashing when avg was loading at startup. So I uninstalled that in safe mode, and now it runs fine until i do something like run an app or open My Computer or breathe. :mad:

did you run the advanced test in DFT?

It passed the advanced test in DFT. CreamysoupUSA broke my one and only floppy disk in my house, so once I get another disk I'll run memtest.

Tylander said:
It passed the advanced test in DFT. CreamysoupUSA broke my one and only floppy disk in my house, so once I get another disk I'll run memtest.

it has a cd image for memtest

Ummm....could yoru power supply be crapping out on you?

I mean it seems to be the root to liek 70% of peoples problems....

Cheap/Old power supplies are teh statan

I don't want to bother with this thing anymore, so he's getting a new computer. Sucks that my email checking dad is going to have a better computer than me :(. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I didnt know PSU's had religious affiliations. I'm getting this same error on my brand new Dell Precision M70. Is there anything other than a bad RAM and HDD that could give this error on a brand new computer?

Back