BSOD during XP install. Any way to chkdsk/HDD utility?

Basically,

My boss was visiting "Harley Davidson" websites, true or not, i dont care :p

Anyway, in a matter of seconds the computer crashed and wont boot back up into the OS. Here is what i have tried so far...

1. Boot into Windows XP - never boots into windows, just continues to load at the XP loading screen.

2. Boot into last known configuration - Does the same thing as #1

3. Boot into Safe mode - Gives BSOD "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

4. Boot into Safe mode Command prompt - Starts to load all the drivers, then just gets hung up and won't let me get to command prompt.

5. Put in Windows XP disk - Right as you get to the first screen to hit "R for repair" "Enter to Install Windows XP", <==Right before where you choose partitions/disks...I get the BSOD.

I think i need some kind of manufacture disk utility to run a scan disk or something, but this being a Dell laptop, I'm not sure what i need...

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!

What bluescreen on the windows setup do you get? Sounds like a bad hard disk to me. Got a winPE disk or something?

What bluescreen on the windows setup do you get? Sounds like a bad hard disk to me. Got a winPE disk or something?

Yeah, i think he's got something malicious on there, and ate up the kernel or ini file, but no matter what angle i try i just can't get anywhere to check or repair. The bluescreen error is different than the on i get when i get it when trying to go into Safe Mode i know that, i think its this one though:

0x0000007B

You can make a bootable CD of Hitachi's disk tester http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/dft32_v415_b01.iso

I've used their test tools for years (when it was still IBM) pretty I'm sure you can still do basic testing on any drive not just Hitachi.

Great! Thanks, I'll try that asap...

07B is a disk controller driver issue. Sounds like the laptop is set to use AHCI mode for the controller and will need disk controller drivers loaded. That means you will need a floppy disk with the SATA driver on it (probably intel sata) and then need to press F6 during the install (at the beginning when it prompts you) and load the driver. (Or you will need a XP disc with the driver slip-streamed)

OR If the option is present in the BIOS set it to normal IDE or SATA mode instead of AHCI, and then you wont need the driver.

Hmm...i remember looking in the BIOS earlier and it was indeed set to AHCI mode...i KNOW my boss wouldnt have done that, I'm wondering if this was done at the hand of malware?

But my next question would be how did the computer attempt to boot into Windows if it was in AHCI mode? I'm self admitted that i dont know anything into AHCI mode, and have a limited experience at various disk arrays in Sata.

Well, the 07B bluescreen in setup isn't the same bluescreen as you are getting in windows, this is two different issues.

-Old windows works because it is probably the OEM install and has the AHCI drivers, BUT something ELSE is jacked and that is causing that bluescreen.

-Windows setup borks because it DOESNT have the AHCI driver.

If you are ok with just reinstalling windows then you can swap it to IDE mode (not AHCI) and just reinstall windows and all will be well, or you can leave it AHCI and use the floppy disk f6 driver method or slipstream the driver, but there really isnt an advantage in this case to use AHCI.

Since extide has already guessed on the drive controller, I'm going to go with boot sector virus on this one!

Back