BSOD at load on windows vista ultimate after update - fresh install

MGDMN

2[H]4U
Hey guys, ive got a bit of a problem that I hope someone can help me with. My mom brought me her laptop to look at because it was infected with all kinds of malware and just generally running slow. It had so many problems that I decided to just wipe the system and reinstall. So I formatted and reinstalled windows vista ultimate. Everything went fine, no errors, boots to windows and runs like normal. After the first format and reinstall the first thing I did was browse to dells support page and downloaded all of the drivers on their site for this model, which by the way is an older dell vostro 1500. Installed all of the systems drivers, rebooted and it booted to the desktop without any problems. So next I started with the windows updates. I scanned the system and it found 4 critical updates. I installed them and then was prompted that I needed to restart, so I did. Everything was still normal. Booted to desktop with no apparent issues. Went back to windows updates and did a check for updates which showed that I needed 104 critical updates. So I started with updating. It took forever. Like literally 4 hours or so, although I kinda expected that since this laptop isnt exactly a powerhouse. Anyways, the update told me that all of the updates were successful and prompted me to reboot, which I did, but upon bootup the system gave me a BSOD at the windows loading screen. The screen that it gets the BSOD at is the windows loading bar during boot. It will BSOD really quickly, much to quickly for me to catch the code, and reboots. It never makes it to the desktop. When it reboots it will make it till the loading bar and again reboots, and repeats over and over. I have tried to boot into safe mode and its a no go. Same BSOD. I also tried to do a system repair from the vista boot disc with no luck. At this point I thought that maybe one of the drivers that I installed from the dell site could have caused a conflict with one of the windows updates. I reformatted and reinstalled windows vista, but this time I went straight for installing the windows updates. The same as my first attempt, the first 4 critical updates installed without a problem. I then have the LONG wait of installing the 104 updates and when I rebooted it had the same issue. Obviously its a conflict with one of the windows updates. Its worth noting that if I leave the system alone after installing the original 4 critical updates I have no problems of stability. I am at the point now that I am going to start installing windows updates 1 file at a time until I can narrow down which update is causing the issue. I was hoping that someone had maybe encountered an issue like this before that they were able to resolve or could at least point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance guys.

Still working on this issue. I am leaning towards the issue bing caused at the OS install most likely caused by bad sectors on the HDD. If/when I get this resolved I will be sure to come back and post my solution in case anyone else runs into an issue similar to this one.

Did you check the disk with a smart monitor tool and the good old chkdsk.exe? Also, does your Vista disk has SP2 already on it?

Ya, the HDD had a ton of errors. Its an old 80 gig drive so it isnt much of a loss. I talked her into getting a cheap newer laptop rather than sinking money into that old one of hers. It needed a new keyboard as well, since it was missing several keys.

Back