BSOD after 3000+ -> 4800+ , help!

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Hi all

I have a soltek E3901-300P that I just upgraded the bios on. After I upgraded, my 4800+ was detected properly in the bios. Windows bluescreened at startup. I booted in safemode and it boots, detects my "new processor" (core) and sits at the desktop just fine. I set the pc to not auto reboot on crash and when I rebooted it bluescreened as before with ati2dvg showing as the culprit.

Any suggestions how to fix this?

I can't reinstall this box. IT has waaaay too much stuff on it.

Also, I tried booting to safe mode and "uninstalling" the x800xl from device manager (right click, uninstall) and this fixed the problem....loing as I don't install the driver, It boots fine..

any other suggestions?

do a windows repair instead of a full reinstall, you wont lose anything.

Well.. just a suggestion.. you should always keep an external or secondary hard drive around so you can back up all your stuff so you can reformat if you need to. Most of the time when I find myself upgrading a processor or mobo, the OS needs a complete re-install for some reason or another. It comes up with BSOD's, bootup problems, freezes, etc. Then when I reformat, its fine. I don't know how much stuff you have to backup, but a 160gb hdd + usb2/1394 enclosure can be had for under $100.

w1retap said:
Well.. just a suggestion.. you should always keep an external or secondary hard drive around so you can back up all your stuff so you can reformat if you need to. Most of the time when I find myself upgrading a processor or mobo, the OS needs a complete re-install for some reason or another. It comes up with BSOD's, bootup problems, freezes, etc. Then when I reformat, its fine. I don't know how much stuff you have to backup, but a 160gb hdd + usb2/1394 enclosure can be had for under $100.

It's not the data I worry about copying off.

It's reinstalling all the programs that are on there. I have to dig up disks that are in boxes already for moving that I'd rather not do.

Robstar said:
It's not the data I worry about copying off.

It's reinstalling all the programs that are on there. I have to dig up disks that are in boxes already for moving that I'd rather not do.
I see... I feel your pain then. :(

Brickster said:
!!! Try opening up your computer and switching a pin to clear the CMOS, that will do it.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I did boot to safe mode, "uninstall" the x800xl and then the pc booted. I went to add->remove programs, removed cats & uninstall program. Then I used driver cleaner to clear everything ati out. I rebooted and it boots fine (without video drivers).

I then redownloaded the latest cats and installed. Asked me to reboot. Same bluescreen. I'm really thinking it's some kind of compatibility problem.

Edit: I have created a ticket on ATI's website for this problem. Have any of you tried this before? How long did it take for them to get back to you?

Edit: Upgraded to the latest chipset drivers then reinstalled ATI drivers with no effect.

Anyone?

Back