"Bruning in"

Its a false assumption that some people have that, running a CPU thru some demanding apps/games will "wear in" the CPU. To do before trying to overclock. However, there is no factual basis for this. More of a wives tale.

Some people claim better temps and overclocking after a period of "burn in". But its because the thermal product such as Artic Silver has settled into the tiny pores in the heatsink and CPU's, creating a better thermal connection.

fallguy said:
Its a false assumption that some people have that, running a CPU thru some demanding apps/games will "wear in" the CPU. To do before trying to overclock. However, there is no factual basis for this. More of a wives tale.

this isn't true, burning in does help

fallguy said:
Some people claim better temps and overclocking after a period of "burn in". But its because the thermal product such as Artic Silver has settled into the tiny pores in the heatsink and CPU's, creating a better thermal connection.

not everyone uses AS

if you don't believe the merits of burning in, just ask B.B.S (BlindedByScience)...

Carnival Forces said:
this isn't true, burning in does help

Prove it.

Carnival Forces said:
not everyone uses AS

I didnt say everyone did. I said, "thermal product such as Artic Silver". Read a little closer next time.

Carnival Forces said:
if you don't believe the merits of burning in, just ask B.B.S (BlindedByScience)...

I didnt see anything there to prove burn in helps.

Another benefit of the "burn-in" period is to make sure you didn't get any bum hardware. To make sure nothing fails under stress in the first day so you can return it quickly before the warranty expires. Wouldn't want to start putting valuable data on the drive only to have it quit the next day.

Burning in does in fact help.

Here I am again to rant on and on abotu chemistry lol but meh.

The transistors on a CPU are incredibly small (on the order of microns). When heated a molecule increases in kinetic energy, leading to increased collisions, and an increased distance btween them. In other words the transistors EXPAND. At stock speeds the expansion is within an acceptable range such that transistors don't expand into one another nor do they BREAK. When you OC you're increasing the liklihood of a transistor 'bursting'. If you burn in your CPU you literally 'break in' the transistors such that in the future they can expand without bursting (I guess you can say its like if you stretch a baloon before blowing it up you can blow it up further then if you didnt stretch it).

There is also an increased quantity of electron flow in overclocking and by burning in you ensure the electrostatic interaction of the transistor molecules (of their MOs) with the substrate molecules has reached an equilibrium, thus when you oc and increase the electron density there is less free atomic orbitals to participate in cross reactions that would destroy said transistor. You have to understand that a CPU core is still just a chemical system.

It also ensure that you've purchased a CPU that is capable of reaching the overclocks you require. :) :)

Back