Browsers causing lockup

Spleen

n00b
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure where exactly to post this question. If I'm in the wrong spot, could a moderator please move me? Thanks!

Now... I have a Dell OptiPlex 3020 small form factor system. I've loaded the standard image we use in our business on it, and it all seems to work fine EXCEPT, if I launch ANY browser, it locks up the system within 10-15 seconds.

The system has passed multiple complete runs of the Dell diagnostics. It's been reloaded with multiple test images (32 and 64 bit) of Windows 7 Enterprise. All drivers are loaded and there are no bangs in the Device Manager.

I've uninstalled all browser plugins. It had Flash Player and Java 8 (both current). It has Firefox 38.0.1, IE11, and whatever the latest version of Chrome (don't remember). I've uninstalled and reinstalled fresh Firefox and Chrome. Open any of them, and LOCKUP within just a few seconds.

I've looked through the event logs when the machine comes back up, and there's nothing out of the ordinary. I even made a looping batch file to FTP a file from our internal server to the machine and it happily downloaded that 75MB file for 10 minutes with no issues.

I'm at a complete loss here. I have no idea what to check next. I'm open to any and all ideas. I'm leaving work in a few minutes for the day, so won't be able to try any suggestions until the morning.

Thanks one and all!

I'll give those drivers a shot first thing in the morning. Thanks!

As for the lockup, yes, it's a COMPLETE freeze. No keyboard or mouse. There is no hard drive activity light. Nothing works, not even CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Since this is a new machine, I'm going to turn it over to Dell. I'm thinking there's something wrong with the motherboard, as when I updated the video drivers, it became more erratic.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Back