Browser Wars: Chrome Hits 17-Month Low

It's strange that Chrome is falling, but whatever. It don't concern me if others use it or not, I prefer it (well, SRWare Iron) over the other current options.

It's strange that Chrome is falling, but whatever. It don't concern me if others use it or not, I prefer it (well, SRWare Iron) over the other current options.

I still believe that their surge in marketshare was the result of it being bundled with almost every piece of software on the net (or seems like it lol). Almost everyone I know has Chrome installed... but they all seem to use IE or Firefox instead

WTF am I doing wrong then? I tried the FF Droid browser on my Thunderbolt and it was riddled with bugs. The text box would never work right when posting on forums for example. I thought it was the phone but when I got this Note 2, I tried it again and it still doesn't work right?

I don't have any problems like that. One thing I will say is that I almost always use the "desktop" versions of web pages and forums even on my phone. I hate special mobile versions of sites with reduced functionality.

Firefox on Android is incredibly slow and crash prone on any Android device I own. My Thunderbolt, Galaxy Nexus, Droid RAZR, Galaxy Tab 10.1 all have issues with mobile Firefox.

The desktop version of Firefox isn't so bad anymore. I'm not a fan on the interface now but that's just me. My wife still uses Firefox though and getting her to use anything else won't happen.

For the record I use Chrome, all Chrome, and nothing but Chrome.

Ok well glad it's not just me.

I really want to use Chrome on my Note 2 but it displays message boards weird. Some posts have tiny text while the post right below it is huge. Hell there are even some posts where a quote is huge then the reply is tiny. Til they get that fixed I'm sticking with Opera Mobile.

I still believe that their surge in marketshare was the result of it being bundled with almost every piece of software on the net (or seems like it lol). Almost everyone I know has Chrome installed... but they all seem to use IE or Firefox instead

#1, Since it's made by Google, people that use Google's search engine (ie everyone) get spammed by it daily if they don't have it.

#2, Since Google owns Youtube, people who watch Youtube (ie everyone) get spammed by it daily if they don't have it.

When you think about the fact that IE is the default browser (monopoly by default), and "Install Chrome!" is spammed to everyone that basically uses the internet, it's amazing Firefox is still in the running. But between customizability and the power of its extensions it's really not that surprising I guess, it's pretty easy personalize it exactly to your liking.

There is no reason for Vista users to be stuck on IE9 when the core OS is the same as Windows 7 and Windows 8.
It is and it isn't. Windows 7 actually needed a fairly substantial patch (including DirectX 11.1 components back-ported from Windows 8) in order to run IE10.

Those components had dependencies based in the newer driver model included in Windows 8 (WDDM 1.2), and had to be modified to run on Windows 7's older driver model (WDDM 1.1).

Windows Vista still runs WDDM 1.0 drivers, which means even more modifications are required to bring it up to speed for running DX11.1 and IE10.

In comparison, you can install the latest version of Firefox and Chrome on XP, and of course Vista, just fine.
That's because Firefox includes a an ancient GDI-based fallback mode (for Windows XP), and is compiled against an old-ish version of the DirectWrite API (for Windows Vista/7/8).

Microsoft ends up using the latest versions of everything for new version of IE because IE was, until recently, part of Winmain. Apparently they're splitting it off now in order to provide more frequent updates, with fewer dependencies on specific Windows versions.

I used to love Firefox, but after the rapid release cycle they adopted, it was getting too slow. I decided to try Chrome and never looked back.

Some people claim that Firefox speed got a boost in the last 6 months... is that true? If so, I would be willing to go back if only to support it.

IE will always maintain a certain amount of userbase simply because it is what comes freshly installed with Windows; while I still have no love for the browser and see its massive, glaring flaws, I do have to admit that IE10 is a great improvement over IE6 for instance in terms of quality, so users who aren't so technical may not feel absolutely compelled to find a replacement for "the Internet that keeps crashing all the damn time".

Firefox is my browser of choice and I'm glad to see the upswing, as I feel it is not just the best technical offering, but it is the only major browser of the 3 that is designed exclusively for making the best browsing experience for the user and putting control in said user's hand. This by itself is worth far more than most give it credit. Privacy, user focus, and user control SHOULD win against corporate interests who will throw money at a problem to make it go away, espouse the virtues of faux openness while making decisions that are anything but, and generally create slick charade to back their own ends while they claim its all for the betterment of the users.

Chrome likes to crash and lose my open tabs.

Firefox rarely crashes; rather it starts running shittier and shittier until I decide to close it and reboot. And without a "sessions" feature I have to kill it so it will remember all my open tabs. But I have never lost a tab.

Firefox has the fewest features but is the most reliable.

So if it's installed but they aren't using it then they arent really counted as a Chrome user now are they? So that wouldn't add up.
Plus it's not much different than FF being bundled with Linux or when i visit certain sites I get hit with the "best viewed using Firefox" with it linked to download it.
Personally I think Chrome and Firefox both are where they are mostly in thanks to word of mouth. Just because something is bundled with something does not mean people are gonna use it and if they don't use it then they aren't counted as a user with these types of stats, unless of course it's IE.
Most people will use what they have always used as evident of some users on this very site, most keep plugging away with FF as they have been using it for so many years now that they see no reason to change. Not that FF is bad, I'm using it right now on Linux as thats what it came bundled with ;).

I love corporate monsters, they are my people, I am one of them and I like to chomp on pretty much everyone else, nomnomnom.

I'll run IE10 when they may the extension that may not be named on [H] for it, which will basically be never.

Other than that, if you need to run Java in a browser there's no better choice than Chrome. IE spawns like 23743294629 processes with GB of memory consumption, FF is a bit better, and Chrome is the least resource intensive browser when it comes to Java apps. FWIW I still use FF for everything other than Java apps.

Outright Raw visitor numbers are useful, but weighting is the best approach imo. If your sample has 20% of the worlds internet users in Brazil you have a bad sample.

I still think Chrome is the best when you get right down to the nuts and bolts of it.

It is. It's the easiest browser to handle for developers and Google has done a fantastic job making it sure it stays that way. Firefox is a close second (and depending on who you ask, probably even first)

IE will forever have it quirks, and as a result will piss off developers and in turn sometimes the user will bump into issues. With the projects I've been doing, I've had to add so many more lines of code just to get shit to work with IE. The newer HTML5 features just don't work on IE at all, and the older versions require so many goddamn if and !statements. The most frustrating part is that you know some asshole who was in charge of the engine just said, "We're Microsoft. Let's do it differently for no good reason whatsoever."

Both Opera and Firefox don't use Webkit (Opera is making the transition, but still doesn't use it) yet neither browser has anywhere near the problems that IE does. I'd prefer to use older versions of Safari over IE. It's that annoying. MS has gotten better in the last few years, but they're still way behind.

If you're going to make use of modern websites utilizing newer HTML5 features, stay away from IE. In fact, don't bother using it until MS decides to play ball.

If you're going to make use of modern websites utilizing newer HTML5 features, stay away from IE. In fact, don't bother using it until MS decides to play ball.

What features am I missing out on by using IE10. Not trying to be being a dick, honest question. I don't notice any differences but I'm just a mainstream user so I'm probably not aware on things I'm missing out on.

html%20test(1).jpg

Go here.

The worst part is that MS isn't offering their new browser to their older operating systems (yet). Google, Firefox, and even Opera have better support for Windows OSes than does Microsoft.

W0t?

The one reason I hesitated from using Chrome?

The Home button is not displayed by default. It annoyed me not having a Home button. After a couple years I eventually googled it and found out how to display it. But it was enough for me not to use it intially.

Is there a way to turn the delay off?
If you go into about:config and input new integer ui.submenuDelay and set it to 1 or 0, it will make bookmark menus pop up instantly. I'm not sure how to adjust other UI elements but the browser "looks" faster, like Chrome "looks".

Back