broken plastic hotswap bay rails on corsair 800d. what do i do?

Cube

[H]ard|Gawd
so the hard drive rails on the hotswap bay on my corsair 800 broke i still use that hot swap bay a lot for various reasons. the the 5 inch drive bays are filled with disc burners (again for reasons) this is my workstation pc

and of course to make it worse 3 of the hot swap bays rails broke. yes 3 and the other sides feel like they are cracking and I have been gentle with this thing i baby it.

ya so i looked around you cant find the parts of this thing anywhere even though it is still a perfectly fine case that people are still using you can stick a new pc build in there and everything fits fine.

no i dont want to take the thing apart or buy a new case for a stupid plastic part that looks like it cost $1 and should have been made out of metal anyway.

ya i have no idea what i found some 3d printed replacement parts but not these things. i dont see a way to remove the bay and put in a new icydock bay or something in the space.

corsair is no help because they cant keep a stock of all the stupid plastic parts on this thing. i can see them not making the large metal parts but all the stupid little plastic things that ruin the case the could make more and sell them on the store. (thanks corsair.) looked around for a used 800d case to strip the parts out no dice cant find any. of course anticipating the case wearing out i bought some of the spare parts for it years ago for the corsair store like the drive bay backplane the dust filter ETC. Did they sell this small vital plastic part? NO all the plastic on this old "High end case" are made from a shiny brittle metal

i am getting desperate/stressed out/tired nobody has these things not sure how to fix it not sure what alternative parts will fit.

is there a custom pc case place that will make parts like them? really pissed i loved this case it worked for my needs.

this dude got me covered with the drive bay hinge i printed a bunch of them asked him about 3d printing some rails not a 100% guarantee they will work though.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2500499

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_112241129.jpg
    IMG_20210713_112241129.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210713_112339609.jpg
    IMG_20210713_112339609.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 0
Did you contact Corsair support? Since it's such a small part they might not list them on the site, but might be able to get some for you. Worst they can say is "no we don't have any".

Did you contact Corsair support? Since it's such a small part they might not list them on the site, but might be able to get some for you. Worst they can say is "no we don't have any".
yes they told me they have nothing for it,

oh but the case is still listed on the site and was on sale until about 2016

i dont know why corsair dont at least keep making the small plastic parts for all the cases so anybody that brakes a small part on a corsair case that is not being currently made is screwed

i dont know what corsair was thinking making parts like this out of plastic anyway.

Last edited:
it was released in 2009. anything floating around in 2016 was old new stock and they would have ran out of or stopped making part 5+ years ago. it isnt worth it for the very, very few that may need it.

I had the first gen 800d. They stopped selling most of the spare parts around 2014 or so, or at least they were forever out of stock after that.

Your only bet is to find one that is not in use and see if they will hook you up with parts.

So, the plastic rail on the side of the hot swap bays in your 2nd pic is whats broken? Is it broken completely off? Would it be possible to shove somthing like an eraser in that slot and push a screw through, then thread the screw into the holes on the side of the drive? Im sure it wont be as secure as standard fitment, but it should hold perfectly fine and have some anti-vibration properties. Naturally it would no longer be "hot swap", but it would at least hold the drives securely(ish). The Antec LANBoy has weird drive trays that "hang" off posts inside the case IIRC, judging by the pic you might be able to put some anchors in the hot swap area and just use the LANBoy caddies (assuming you can find them).

Back