Broken Model M

Boomslang

Limp Gawd
I did the impossible - I managed to bork my IBM Model M. I spilled a glass of water into the keys while it was plugged in, let it dry for two weeks, and tried it - the bottom row of letters has some anomalous behavior where keypresses send two characters, typically the key I press plus an adjacent key.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? This is a relic from 1989 and I'd be very saddened if I've managed to render this thing disabled.

Try to rescue your IBM model M keyboard by trying the following procedure:

1.) Remove all the key-caps, make sure to leave the buckling springs alone in the key well.
2.) Purchase a can of CRC (electrical grade) QD Contact cleaner. Available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
3.). In an area with very good ventilation, attach the red 'straw' to the nozzle of the can, shake well and then spray well down each key 'well' until it overflows. During the evaporative phase of the contact cleaner, be sure to keep away from any fire, flame or sparks. Extremely flammable.
4.) Wait until the next day for the keyboard to entirely 'air-out'. The contact cleaner will displace most of any water/moisture left in the keyboard. If the membrane has not been pierced then you have a good chance for success.
5.) Replace the key-caps and try your IBM model M again. If your still have problems, a second round of QD contact cleaner may help.

If all else fails, you can ship your IBM model M to Unicomp for a flat rate repair option available.

Best of luck,

dvwjr

or you can get on ebay & buy another one for 25 to 35 bucks...& have spare parts from the borked one

Back