Broken headset. Most likely beyond hope

Crash250f

Gawd
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
640
So I finally got my JVC HA-RX700 in, and I've been loving it, other than the fact that its tough to hear myself talk on TS when alots going on. But anyways, you all know, the cord these things is crazy long. Long enough to wrap around my chair several times during a long night of gaming, causing them to come crashing off my desk when I push my chair back.

The headset itself is fine I think, but the 3.5mm connection got yanked out, and bent to hell, along with the sound panel of my mobo (but that still works). I bent the 3.5mm thingy back to the point where it could fit fully in, but now the left side of my headset doesn't work. :(

I don't really have any experience with the internals of these things (maybe I will after my digital design class next semester). Are there any fixes that a relative noob could pull off? Willing to try just about anything considering they are shot as is, and I won't have the chance for new ones for quite awhile.
 
Try gently pulling the pad off on the side of the cord. Should be able to just slip your finger under the pad on the inside and slowly work it around and there will be little clips that easily pop out.

Next, there may be some screws. If you can't see the wiring by now you can remove them and see which wire came off. I'm guessing they're soldered, so anyone with moderate soldering skills can fix it for you, even a beginner could do it with a few practice runs on something else first.

Also, they may be connected with pins of some type, so best case it might be as simple as pushing a pin back in place.
 
i think you mean the plug at the end got bent- correct? u probably need to splice in another one
 
I apologize for my lack of terminology. Did a bunch more googling and yes it is the plug, not the jack. From what I've seen, plugs can be replaced but I can't find any real guides or anything. Maybe its just simpler than I'm thinking. Can you just open up the housing, cut the wires, take a 3.5mm plug offa another headset and solder the wires from that to the old one. Wrap it up and good to go? I've NEVER done anything like this before, so am I on the right track? I got some old broken headsets I can steal a plug from.
 
Back
Top