• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Broken HD?

Yoshmaista

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
261
I have a problem in that I will be browsing my F: drive (a WD 160GB HD), but while browsing it will just kind of "freeze" up. The window remains, but no icons pop up, and then after a minute they will. In the process it also freezes up any other "My Computer" activities, like browsing on other hard drives and such. II can browse my C, D, and E drives fine. But when I browse the F: drive it will freeze, and then freeze up browsing on other drives as well.

If you need any furthur details, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the help in advance
 
Could be some corruption in the OS. It's hard to say without knowing the specs of the system and computer usage history.
 
smartzw2.jpg
 
Use WD Diagnostic Tools instead. That will post the SMART data and show if it failed or is ok.
 
I have the exact same drive, and I looked up my smart data from that because i was curious, everythings exactly the same. even power on hours(you posted 2 hours ago and mine is 3 ohurs higher). temperature is even only 2 degrees(f) off from yours. The weird thing is, whenever I experience the problem you are having it is almost always something corrupt. it might be a folder that cant even be deleted(scratch on disk?) or usb drive, floppy, or cd.

your drive is fine, but i do not know how to fix it. Another question... are you having this problem only in windows explorer, or do other apps do it to?(open a pic on the drive in paint or an mp3 into winamp)
 
Shadowed_Stranger said:
I have the exact same drive, and I looked up my smart data from that because i was curious, everythings exactly the same. even power on hours(you posted 2 hours ago and mine is 3 ohurs higher). temperature is even only 2 degrees(f) off from yours. The weird thing is, whenever I experience the problem you are having it is almost always something corrupt. it might be a folder that cant even be deleted(scratch on disk?) or usb drive, floppy, or cd.

your drive is fine, but i do not know how to fix it. Another question... are you having this problem only in windows explorer, or do other apps do it to?(open a pic on the drive in paint or an mp3 into winamp)

Yeah, it does it in anything with that drive. Like if I open a document or something from a folder. I think I'm just gonna do a fresh wipe. I don't have too much important stuff on there, so I should be alright.
 
Yoshmaista said:
Yeah, it does it in anything with that drive. Like if I open a document or something from a folder. I think I'm just gonna do a fresh wipe. I don't have too much important stuff on there, so I should be alright.
Let us know when you get back if a reinstall took care of the problem.
 
Well, I didn't format, but I just deleted everything (Ctrl + A, shift+delete), and all works fine now. So I guess there was one folder or something that was messing it all up.
 
Yoshmaista said:
Well, I didn't format, but I just deleted everything (Ctrl + A, shift+delete), and all works fine now. So I guess there was one folder or something that was messing it all up.
Glad to hear everything is in working order.
 
Back
Top