• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Broken FW900

DrkRipper

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 6, 2005
Messages
168
I received my FW900 today:
IMG_1214.jpg


it was packed well...but UPS really butchered the box:
IMG_1208.jpg


Its sitting here warming up to room temprature, should I try to turn it on when it is warmed up?
 
If the glass is not cracked... yes.

The plastic edges on it can get owned all you want but you should turn it on ASAP so you can claim a DOA if it is dead.
 
did you have shipping insurance? (im assuming no)

contact UPS and show them what you've showed us - maybe it'd be best to wait it out and not turn it on - i wouldn't take the risk
 
yes it was insured, I think I will wait to turn it on until after I contact the seller and UPS
 
I contacted UPS and started the claim process. They said to go ahead and try it out, so I tried it and it wouldn't turn on. I don't get a light or anything, so there must be internal damage.
 
What the hell? :eek:

Why would a driver even leave a package that was completely decimated? I hate when they just drop off damaged crap and don't take responsibility for destroying somebody's property.

Drivers who do that should be fired.
 
Wow, i can't believe UPS actually delivered that. That thing is heavy (i have one), and i've never seen a UPS truck with more than one driver before.
 
Keep us updated on what UPS is going to do if anything.
I myself have a 22'' CRT on its way and I would love to know.
 
I worked at UPS for 5years and you would be surprised the things I've seen :mad: So this is nothing out of the ordinary. Sad.
 
omg ARGH!

the SAME thing happened to me with the SAME monitor using UPS, except I was sending it to someone on hardforum instead of receiving. when he received the box(which i paid a premium to be packed right), the box was all messed up like that and the monitor was cracked. :mad: brings back bad memories, argh.
 
That box looks like it was dropped down a flight of stairs.

I always thought that the heavier something was, the more careful people would be with it. I mean, it's easy to toss around light boxes...but a box looking like..THAT after a UPS shipment?

What do they do? Run the truck over it a few times?
 
:eek: It hurts seeing an FW900 in that shape , Good thing you had it insured tho.. and sorry about the bad luck.

DHL delivered mine and the driver asked if I would help him get it off the truck lol.
 
Well... most people don't understand the shipping process. It's not as if it leaves from the sender and goes directly to you.
The sorting process to go from shipper, and then through multiple hubs, means that each package sent probably goes through several dozen hands. Things that are heavier and therefore more cumbersome tend to get worked over more.

I'm not saying that what happened here is right, but it's hard to keep this sort of things from happening all the time.

At any rate I hope your claim works out well for you.
 
I remember when UPS delivered my HKS coilovers. One corner of the box was destroyed and one of the coilovers was damaged. Needless to say, I was extremely pissed. I wish they would just take more care in handling heavier items.
 
i work for fedex. drivers have no fault at all, it's the company (fedex) that is so greedy they do anything to make money, and in the process of delivering thousands of boxes per day, some get damage on the terminal before, it has nothing to do with us drivers, it's 100% fedex fault. i am not lying to you guys!! when there is something damaged its us contractors that have to pay for it, fedex don't pay nothing they put the fault on us so they won't have the responsability. and we end up paying from our pockets. that is what goes on at fedex!
 
stopmenow said:
i work for fedex. drivers have no fault at all, it's the company (fedex) that is so greedy they do anything to make money, and in the process of delivering thousands of boxes per day, some get damage on the terminal before, it has nothing to do with us drivers, it's 100% fedex fault. i am not lying to you guys!! when there is something damaged its us contractors that have to pay for it, fedex don't pay nothing they put the fault on us so they won't have the responsability. and we end up paying from our pockets. that is what goes on at fedex!


FedEx =/ UPS
 
I personally dont think any one parcel service has an advantage here.
I think all packages seem to take the same abuse no matter the service.
At least from my experiences with all of em that seems to be the case.

Oh and thanks again this post has officially made me piss myself.
My 22'' Mitsubishi CRT due in tuesday. via DHL :eek:
 
Damn Bro that really sucks. I am also about to piss myself because my FW900 is on the way. I ordered one from Azatek, and it's taking them a while to get it here via distribution by air inc. I sure as hope mine doesn't show up like that because i dont think it's insured. Does anyone know what happens if you don't have insurance on it and it shows up craked all to hell. I think DHL will deliver mine as well.

I should have never gambled on that heavy ass thing. Americans hate their jobs so when the have to move heavy shit they get mad and probably bust it to hell.
 
If mine shows up in a box that is that beat up i'm sending it straight back to Azatek
 
stopmenow said:
i work for fedex. drivers have no fault at all, it's the company (fedex) that is so greedy they do anything to make money, and in the process of delivering thousands of boxes per day, some get damage on the terminal before, it has nothing to do with us drivers, it's 100% fedex fault. i am not lying to you guys!! when there is something damaged its us contractors that have to pay for it, fedex don't pay nothing they put the fault on us so they won't have the responsability. and we end up paying from our pockets. that is what goes on at fedex!

I work for FedEx as well (package handler) and I can back this guy up. With the amount of work that they make you do and the pace that they make you do it, you pretty much have to throw boxes around to keep up. I've seen boxes treated horribly, dropped, thrown, crushed, you name it. With the pace of work and the amount of boxes you deal with, sometimes the conveyor belts get backed up and the boxes just fall off and/or crush eachother. It's not just UPS, believe me.

It could be so much better if they hired more employees, slowed down the conveyor belts, and better teamwork was put into effect, but it's all about money and budget restraints for them so nooooooooo.

edit - I too ordered one of these monitors and it's being shipped by UPS... I really hope it gets here in one piece, but if not, it's insured for the full price. *crosses fingers*
 
my point is this, it's not the driver fault. the damage gets done in the terminal, by the people that work sorting the packages, not in any way the drivers. and, we (drivers) are the ones that always take the most care, because we are the ones that have to pay if the package is damaged (and fedex does that on purpose, so they won't pay from own pockets) and this is the "dark" truth about fedex.
 
it goes in a kind of an investigation i think (never happen to me).

basically we pay if (you) the customer complains about it. if no, bye bye.
 
stopmenow said:
it goes in a kind of an investigation i think (never happen to me).

basically we pay if (you) the customer complains about it. if no, bye bye.

We as in the deliver person has to pay for it or Fedex? That would be messed up if the deliver person has to pay for it.
 
I work for UPS as well, a key note is, that package was shipped via ground. When a package is shipped via ground It passes through several hubs and trucks(if going more than 1-2 state distance, in most cases, a few exceptions depending on orgin and destination). All it takes for a damaged package is one bad loader(ie if a wall isn't packed tight and if it has other heavy packages on top of it, each bump in the road will cause the packages underneath it to 'hammer' the box underneath it. And being an irreg(over 70's and odd shaped 'irregular' packages) all it takes is someone who thinks they can lift it, or someone who can and has a unforseen slip for it to be dropped. Then comes the machinery, ie diverters, rollers, jams, and angled belts which can damaged packages far worse than any person can imo(though most irregs get special handling at major facilities).

Unfortunatly it is impossible to completely avoid damages when shipping millions of packages, but some/most of us try our best. The claims department should resolve the problem for you though.
 
baboonpkt said:
I work for UPS as well, a key note is, that package was shipped via ground. When a package is shipped via ground It passes through several hubs and trucks(if going more than 1-2 state distance, in most cases, a few exceptions depending on orgin and destination). All it takes for a damaged package is one bad loader(ie if a wall isn't packed tight and if it has other heavy packages on top of it, each bump in the road will cause the packages underneath it to 'hammer' the box underneath it. And being an irreg(over 70's and odd shaped 'irregular' packages) all it takes is someone who thinks they can lift it, or someone who can and has a unforseen slip for it to be dropped. Then comes the machinery, ie diverters, rollers, jams, and angled belts which can damaged packages far worse than any person can imo(though most irregs get special handling at major facilities).

Unfortunatly it is impossible to completely avoid damages when shipping millions of packages, but some/most of us try our best. The claims department should resolve the problem for you though.

In all my life of HUNDREDS and hundreds of things sent to my front door UPS is the worst! Go fed ex or expect hell.
Nobody is perfect but ups trys to f things up...I mean come on, look online at all the trashed packages UPS has passed off to people. :)
 
In all my life of HUNDREDS and hundreds of things sent to my front door UPS is the worst! Go fed ex or expect hell.
Nobody is perfect but ups trys to f things up...I mean come on, look online at all the trashed packages UPS has passed off to people.

Trust me, I don't need to look online for packages, I see thousands pass by me every weekday, and a tiny amount overall are damaged, and FedEx's ground service percentages aren't any better.
 
See, everyone always says, "Hey look at all the complaints people have against UPS/FedEx."

That doesn't mean anything towards how many packages are actually damaged. Only a very small amount of packages are damaged. The thing is, those are the ones you ever hear things about. That very small percentage of unhappy customers makes it sound like the service is like that all the time, which overbloats the whole situation. I mean, when do you hear people praising UPS/FedEx for an undamaged package? They usually just take it for granted.

Just trying to put things in perspective.
 
Mine got here yesterday in one piece. These things are awesome. However I recommend doing some squats and some pushups about a month before this thing arrives. Carrying this beast to my desk I felt like i was in a damn worlds strongest man comp.
 
Thought I would post the happy ending.

UPS ended up refunding me the money, with the help of the best ebay seller I have ever dealt with. They also gave the monitor back to me so I opened up the case to see if I could fix it. The screw holding the power supply board on had pulled through the board, damaging 3 connections. I fixed those, and it powered on. The picture still needs some adjustment, but it was working surprisingly well.

Also has anybody used this cable with their fw900? http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi/index.htm (the DVI to BNC)

I am thinking about getting one, but wanted to see if anybody had used it.
 
When my HP L2335 was delivered by UPS the box had a big hole punched in the top of the box that was taped up, and the paperwork that was inside of the box was hanging halfway out. UPS is an awful shipping company. I have a feeling that since the hole looks so much like a fist or foot made it that since no one was home during the first attempted delivery that they got mad and did that to it before delivering it successfully on the second day. When they delivered it the guy made sure to face the whole away from the door so that no one noticed until it was inside. We took pictures of the box before opening it.
 
Back
Top