Broken FLV (FLVCheck reports -10 error)

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
I'm trying to figure out how to fix some broken .flv files (no, you can't see them). I have got most of my info so far from this page:

http://www.squidoo.com/flv

I tried a bunch of stuff on one of the files, which is about 12 minutes long, but starts having problems about 23 seconds in at which point MPC-HC and VLC jump to the end of the movie. I can move the slider to just after the problem and play some more of the video, but eventually it will jump to the end again; there are many corrupted points like this in the video.

FLVCheck 1.0 returns an error code of -10 which is "Invalid prev msg size". (I got FLVCheck from here rather than the horrible Brothersoft downloader site which seems to force you to install AVG)

I have tried using flvmdi.exe (through the flvmdigui) with the "Include keyframes object" and "Inject onLastSecond event" flags enabled. After doing that, FLVCheck returns error codes -100 which is "Warning: metadata duration is off by: 237790 seconds" and -13 which is "Invalid msg type", and the resulting video still has the same problems in the same places.

Viewing or redownloading the flvs on two different computers (one is a Win7 PC, the other is a Mac) sees the same problems in the same places. I tried Firefox and Internet Explorer to view them online at their original sources; I tried Downloadhelper and Flashgot to download them; I tried current versions of MPC-HC and VLC to view the downloaded files; I'm using the latest 11.2 version of Flash with hardware acceleration turned off (turning it on did not help). Other people seem to be able to view them without issues. The only thing I can think of now is rolling back to an older version of Flash but that's a terrible solution for security reasons.

I tried re-encoding both the original file and the file put out by flvmdi using Freemake Video Converter; converting the original file resulted in a 12 minute video in which only the first 23 seconds had any content, and converting the flvmdi result file resulted in a 23 second long video.

What now? Just give up?

As a followup, I got around to investigating this again and found that GOM Player can play through the damaged frames of these .flv files, and that GOM Converter can convert the broken files into files that MPC-HC can play. I have found no other player or converter that can get past the damaged frames; I tried Handbrake, Freemake Video Convert, Oxelon Media Converter, and Total Media Converter, and all of them would stop encoding when it hit a damaged frame.

Unfortunately, both GOM Player and GOM Converter are kind of skeevy with their installation, so you have to be careful not to install adware, and the free version of GOM Converter plasters a big logo on the top of the video. Is there a way to set up a reputable converter like Handbrake to handle damaged frames like GOM Converter does?

Back