Broken Dell 15R Special Edition laptop with quad core Intel i7 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this laptop as a refurbished unit about 6 months ago. About 3 months ago I was enjoying a cup of coffee (yeah, you know what comes next) at the table when my daughter accidentally knocked over my coffee cup, sending black, liquid death all over the keyboard. Despite yanking the battery immediately and turning the laptop upside down, it wouldn't power up again. All I get is 7 beeps which indicates a CPU failure. Could be the CPU fried or the motherboard.

I've since tested the RAM in another unit and it works fine. Hard drive is fine, too. But I've purchased another laptop and decided not to bother trying to repair this one. It was a great laptop while it lasted and hopefully someone else with some spare time can bring it back to life again.

Here are the specs:

15" LED screen, 1920x1080 resolution
Intel i7-3632QM CPU
8GB RAM
1TB 5400RPM hard drive
2GB AMD 7730M GPU
DVD-RW

Obviously the laptop comes as-is. Cosmetically it's in excellent condition, just won't power up. My best guess is a new motherboard and/or CPU would fix it right up. From searching on ebay a replacement motherboard can be had for $200. Search for Dell 15R 7520 motherboard. If the CPU is bad, a replacement is about $250.

Since the laptop needs a decent amount of money and time to get working, I'm looking at selling it for $200 shipped or best offer. Comes with laptop, battery, and power supply. Hard drive has been wiped and I can include a Windows 7 Home Premium DVD so the OS can be re-installed with the OEM key on the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back