broken cpu pins..

i have a friend who got a sempron 64 2800+ or something similar.. someone was attempting to help him install it, and wound up bending a few pins into an s, shape..

now he sent me an e-mail saying that those pins got broken off...

i told him that he probably can try it without the pins and it might work.. but to wait to see how people here answer.. with the pins missing, i am thinking it will either work or not work, but could it fry the chip?

where should he go to get it fixed? could a jewler fix it possibly? he is in vancouver..

i have seen posts in the past here where people were reccomending a place or two on the internet that can fix them...

thanks

scott

Pins are pretty important. If they were just bent, ive heard of people taht have used thing objects like a credit card to straighten them out. However, if broken off, for lack of a better term, you are fucked. Sorry. :(

Unless you posess mad soldering skills you are SOL. The chip may function, but you will be getting errors out the ass according to which pins are broken.

sounds like the person who was helping owes him enough money to buy a new one.

http://motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=procrep

there is one.. i found it again..

it was a joint effort between the guy that tried to help, and my friend, and the guy that did it, left the store before my friend realized how bad the damage was

he is in canada though. anyone know of a place in canada that will fix it? its not quite worth $30 and probably close to $10 in shipping to fix a $65 cpu

I use a piece of 14 karat gold wire to solder new pins on.....only have sucess with the outer or inner row.....but I do it by removing the remnant of the old pin with a small iron...then depositing a new solder ball on the pad......and then quickly place the wire with hemostats while touching the molten solder with the iron.....then trim after you have a good connection..

i bought my 3500 with a missing pin at a great deal and it works perfectly fine, it even overclocks ok. I bought it telling myself that i would pay to have it fixed but never got around to it, but really its hit or miss, more towards miss..

Generally, missing pins usually cause the CPU to not work at all or work in a very odd, incorrect way, and goodness knows what it's doing to your system. Re: Frying the chip by running sans pins - I fail to see what difference it's going to make if it screws the CPU up more than the actual physical damage.

I've found using the end of a mechanical pencil is good to straighten bent pins (sans graphite, of course)

But if the pins are broken, I'd send it off to the silicon graveyard in the sky or your keyring. These things aren't that expensive to replace these days.

MajorDomo said:
Unless you posess mad soldering skills

Mad Machinist said:
I use a piece of 14 karat gold wire to solder new pins on.....only have sucess with the outer or inner row.....but I do it by removing the remnant of the old pin with a small iron...then depositing a new solder ball on the pad......and then quickly place the wire with hemostats while touching the molten solder with the iron.....then trim after you have a good connection..

Your a braver (and more dexterous) man than me Gunga Din ;)

but I guess at that point there is little to loose

TheAcorn said:
But if the pins are broken, I'd send it off to the silicon graveyard in the sky or your keyring. These things aren't that expensive to replace these days.

not if ur the guy with a brand spanking new FX60 with broken pins
;)

Asian Dub Foundation said:
not if ur the guy with a brand spanking new FX60 with broken pins
;)

I don't break pins on my CPUs.

A brand spankin' new CPU should have all of it's pins, unless there was end user installation error.

I'd say whoever broke it should not have been messing with it in the first place. There's a reason they call them ZIF(zero insertion force) sockets. He had to push decently to do that kind of damage. I firmly believe he owes whoever a new processor.

Some may call this reckless. Those some would be correct;) but if you're desperate, read on.

This assumes that whoever broke off the pins kept them. If not, this can't possibly work.

If you have the pins, count off the stumps on the CPU where they belong, and put a broken pin in the corresponding hole in the CPU socket. If you have all the pins in all the holes in the socket, it's theoretically possible that you may not be screwed. Not likely, but at least it gives you a shot-in-the-dark chance.

Be warned, it also gives you a chance of causing more damage and $65 might be less than the cost of a new mobo if this procedure gets screwed up.

when i built my P42.4C system years ago it came with bent pins and i had bought it retail. So i when and got one of those tiny screwdrivers and slowly straightened them out. Never had a problem.

Take it to a jewler. They can repair it for you, its easier if you have the pins, if not, they can fab em. My buddy managed to drop his proc, and break 8 pins on install, he took it to a jewler, they fixed it, and then I installed it for him lol.

-Cameron

I had 3 bent pins on an AMD 3000+, bent them back using a jewlers screw driver. That is scary...But the motherboard repair guy is great, used him for my cousins CPU (which he damaged after dropping it.

Back