broken computer

MavsX

[H]ard|Gawd
sup fellas. So recently i was having some problems with my computer, so i decided i was going to format the HDD. My computer has a 500 gig sata (3 gigs a second) drive in it. All i have is my boot disk, with fdisk on it from like 1998. I tried finding some utilities that could handle a 500 gig drive(before i did my format)..couldn't really find anything. I did however make a boot cd using an .iso from killdisk.com it does a high level write over the whole drive with 1's. So i did that program, kill disk.

The next morning i popped in my windows XP pro cd(service pack 1 included on the disk) and it could not see my hard drive. I tried it a few more times, it gets to the screen where you push F8 to install the OS, then it says "cant find a hard drive, click F3 to restart.

I thought maybe windows(because it did not have SP2 slip streamed on the CD) could not see large volumes like that, so i tried the same thing using a media center edition 2005 version. Same result.

SO what i am asking for from you guys is a utility that i can download, put on a floppy or burn to a CD, that can boot my system, CREATE A PARTITION USING THE WHOLE drive 465 gigs, then format it...so then when i pop in my xp pro/media center CD it will see the HD....help!

michealo is right.. but just as a heads up... GParted can format a disk of any size to NTFS no problem. May be useful in the future.

okay, thanks fellas for the help! I am about to try some of this stuff. I'll let you know how it goes....

I'm pretty sure you can use Western Digital's Data Lifeguard utility to test that drive... if Hitachi doesn't have their own.

i downloaded some drivers and such from hitachis home page..thanks fellas...also i bought a new 300 gig sata drive..my plan is to put all program files on the 300 gig, and use the 500 gig for storage...and that way if i want to run raid 1 or 0 i can buy a new 500 gig drive...genius

I'm pretty sure you can use Western Digital's Data Lifeguard utility to test that drive... if Hitachi doesn't have their own.

WD won't let you run that utility on a non-WD drive. At least that was the case last time I tried it on an old Maxtor and a Seagate a few months back. GParted is a good idea, though.

just installed the 300 gig drive, without hitches..installed XP on it as we speak....

next i will pop in the 500 gig and make that my 2nd HD

duuudes..im having some problems with gparted!

1.) it wont load the video, so i have to do the Forcevideo command. then i have to select ATI and the resolution...i tried all of them..they all fail..so i can't see the gparted live CD GUI, i tried 1280, 1024, 800, and 640..WTF

on top of that i am trying to dowload my drivers for vidoe....ATI 512 radeon x1900xtx and ATI's drivers site is down....then i tried just getting gparted...without the live CD version..it comes in too .zips both are some .tar files..and i dont know what to do with those....

i was able to get XP to install last night twice on the new 300 gig sata3 drive, but right after the windows finished installing i got a BSOD..so i am trying now to run diagnostics on the seagate via seatools.....god i want to kill myself

god i want to kill myself

Calm down:)

I think you may have made a bad image. What application did you use to copy your iso image to cd? Here is a small app that works really well for burning iso images. Re-download the image and burn it on the slowest setting, and try again. Once you boot off of the cd, just leave the resolution where it is, don't change it. Give it a few minutes as well.. I have seen certain systems that seem to react with GParted a little slower than others... Let us know what happens..

ha, yeah i know i am just playing...

when i downloaded that iso, it came with its own .iso burning. I double clicked and it loaded its own program, and i clicked burn...i will download what you just pointed me to, and burn another cd. thanks

okay i just burned the iso. at 24X, it was burning at 48 so i turned it down. although right now i am doing a full disk scan on the new seagate 300 gig...cause i got two BSODs during windows install

scan disk finished no problems....also got a bsod i think its my vidoe card though

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed
hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive
to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then
restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBACC3524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Are you able to boot into Windows at all?

This is a really big stab in the dark... and I'm probably wrong, but have you been able to scan for viruses? I think that stop error might point to a boot sector virus... maybe.

Are you able to boot into Windows at all?

This is a really big stab in the dark... and I'm probably wrong, but have you been able to scan for viruses? I think that stop error might point to a boot sector virus... maybe.

yeah thats what it said, but also it said a problem with the video driver...but also i was having a problem running gparted..and this is a brand new HD out of the box yesterday ...

no virus

and no i can not get into windows...when it restarts during the install of windows, after you do the tcp/ip settings, thats when it dies on me, safe mode doesn't work...

alrgight i solved the problem! it was indeed an issue with the sata drivers, from two different hard drives i had to use some drivers that were actually older than the ones windows has. It works.

also the BSOD i was getting the error code said it was either a virus, or a problem with the graphics card...

either way its fixed. thanks fellas

Sounds like windows dosen't like some of your memory.....try installing it with only one stick....and see if you get a clean install.....

Back