• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Broken ASUS R9 290?

jorgecva

n00b
Joined
Apr 12, 2014
Messages
12
Hello,
I need your help!!! =(

I recently bought a ASUS R9 290 to replace my old Zotac GTX 560. The problem that I have is that it freezes during gaming every 5- 10 seconds for about half a sec.

Symtoms:
- While playing games when it freezes I can hear that the noise that the card makes while in stress it stops for 1/2 second, everytime the game freezes the card stops making it's noises

Gear:
PSU Cooler master 600W (RS-600-PCAR-E3)
Core I7 2600k overclocked to 4.4 1.35v
16 GB Corsair vengance memory
Gigabyte motherboard GA-Z68XP-UD4


What I have done so far:

- Removed the OC, in case there was not enough power for it (I know my PSU is not the best one on the market) .... Same results
- Exchanged cables from PSU from P4 To P5 (just switch positions)
- Reinstall drivers
- Uninstall previews drivers from Nvidia
- I thought of reinstaling OS but since the issue seems related to HW because the card stops making it's noise everytime it freezes, I haven't get my head around it..
 
what are the gpu temps while this is happening? the newest beta afterburner (or EVGA Precision) is great for setting fan curves and giving you an osd to monitor temps, possible throttling, are your gpu clocks jumping around? will it do this with the fan set on high speed? the built in fan controls for all video cards are a joke...i been using software to keep my gpu cool since all i can remember...my first guess is your card is overheating and causing it to throttle...but its just a guess

also driver cleaners like ddu for cleaning the old drivers off would be good idea...if your not already doing that...so report back how your temps are doing and as to weather your gpu clocks are throttling...and we can go from there
 
Last edited:
The noise you're hearing is probably coil whine, which isn't really a problem -- are you running games with no VSync on?

Your PSU should be able to cope with the load, but from what I could find, it can't handle more than 450W. I would change it to a proper 600W -- like a Seasonic, Enermax, Corsair.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...e-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034/9

I would also recommend not using DDU as a first step. You can run cards from either camp in the same computer without having a problem. Maybe your temps are out of wack, but your PSU is not good at all.
 
how recently? maybe to can return it to retailer if not then see if it complies to ASUS's RMA terms. have you tried it in a differnet computer?
 
Hello,
Thanks for your responses...
The temps are less than 70°C during the play. Also, I have tested different speeds of FAN with the ASUS app that came with the card.

About the noise, I understand that is normal, what does not seem to be is that the noise stops when the screen gets frozen.

What do you mean by DDU?
 
DDU - display driver uninstaller. Again, check the review on the PSU.
 
Hello,
Thanks for your responses...
The temps are less than 70°C during the play. Also, I have tested different speeds of FAN with the ASUS app that came with the card.

About the noise, I understand that is normal, what does not seem to be is that the noise stops when the screen gets frozen.

What do you mean by DDU?

The noise stop because when it freezes there is no load on the GPU. Coil whine happens under load.
 
I'll try to swap the PSU....there is a store (about 25% more expensive than amazon, I live outside the US) that let's me buy and try, so I'll upgrade my PSU and keep it if it fixes the issue.

I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks for your comments
 
long as they let you return it....if it helps none at all......not a bad step and if it fixes it...then were done:)
 
The 290x's do have a bit of power draw requirements, so basically when that power is applied to the card it runs through the coils, where waste energy basically causes the coils to resonate or sequel. Having a cleaner input power source may reduce the pressure of the cards electronics and lessen the noticeable sound.
 
I exchanged the 600w PSU to a 700 psu of the same brand and model (RS-700-PCAR-E3) unfortunately in Mexico they only sell crap =( ...

Unfortunatelly I got the same results. Would you think it is time to ask for a replacement card? or should I keep looking for better PSU?
 
Ok, I got my mind around, format the drive and install windows 7, installed 3d mark and run the fire test.

I got a score of 9078 (10496 Graphics, 10171 physics and 4176 combined), I did not noticed any glich on the video

Does this sound right for you for my specs.
 
Damn ....
3D MARK doos not have any freezing, but when I play Crysis 3 or Titanfall, I get the freezing right away even in the training module...

It is like a half a second freeze every few seconds (frame rate goes to 0) but when playing high action games that means get killed because your movements get cut off and you appear somewhere else / different position.
Is the card broken?
 
Last edited:
Have you installed the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

What about chipset and all other drivers including video? Are they the latest available?
 
Can you remove some drives / non-essential peripherals? You don't mention how much other gear you have plugged into the PSU. Just a thought.
 
The machine has been just formated, the periferalls that I have are only the video card and 3 hard drives ( I tried removing 2, but same results)
 
In terms of BIOS I got revision 5 and there is a 6 available for support of 3rd generation Intel CPUs. However I've heard that this update removes a parameter of CPU PLL (that helps me archive higher overclocks) So I am doubtfull about that one
Edit/Delete Message
 
something interesting. If I play older games such as Unreal Tournament 3 it does not freeze, it only freezes with Titanfall / Crysis 3
 
something interesting. If I play older games such as Unreal Tournament 3 it does not freeze, it only freezes with Titanfall / Crysis 3

Probably because UT3 is not putting near as much strain on the system.

I would probably go ahead and get the video card replaced. Kinda sounds dodgy from the troubleshooting you have done so far.
 
As a last ditch you could try and update the Video Cards bios, check out techpowerup gpu bios collection. As there are some improvements with the clocking and the likes but at your own risk (not hard and fairly safe) but not a novice thing.
 
Back
Top