Broadwell-e, Skylake-e?

Island

Gawd
Hey fellas...Just wanted some input... I know the rumors are out on the Broadwell-e 8/10 cores supposedly coming out soon and the TBD skylake-e batch possibly early 2017....

My dilemma and question is that i'm getting that upgrade itch, and wanted to know what you guys thought about upgrading my 3770k? It's been running great in my rig now for almost 3 years overclocked to 4.4-4.6 ghz, but it seems that it bottlenecks my 2 980 Ti's more and more with newer gen titles.

I am wondering if you guys think the Broadwell 8/10 cores and a new mobo with fast DDR4 ram would be quite an upgrade? I know I can wait until even skylake-e comes out, but money isn't a big deal but I don't like to keep changing parts out either, as I like building something that will last for at least a few years...

I know we just need to wait until benchmarks come out and actually get the word from intel but was wondering if some of you guys had more information to provide? thanks!

Hmmm.. i say sell the two 980 ti's grab a top of the line pascal when they launch this summer and then grab skylake e (feb-march 17?) and another pascal card once more for sli.

I know the rumors are out on the Broadwell-e 8/10 cores supposedly coming out soon

The latest rumor is Broadwell-e is 6 months away (June 2016).

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1884725

If that is true I would not expect Skylake-e in the first half of 2017. Well unless AMD has some miracle performance improvement with Zen that is well beyond the 40% IPC improvement they claimed months ago.

Got the itch? Upgrade to Broadwell-E once it is out. Or wait another year or so for Skylake-E

You could try running DSR - it takes a bit to dial in the right settings, but it should shift the load more to the GPUs.

FWIW, I had a 3930K and 980Ti SLI as well, but at 1080P it was completely overkill in every game. And truth to tell it did bottleneck the SLI 980Ti's at 1080P. With the possible exception of GTA V at fully maxed settings. I sold one of my 980Ti's and haven't looked back.

You could try running DSR - it takes a bit to dial in the right settings, but it should shift the load more to the GPUs.

FWIW, I had a 3930K and 980Ti SLI as well, but at 1080P it was completely overkill in every game. And truth to tell it did bottleneck the SLI 980Ti's at 1080P. With the possible exception of GTA V at fully maxed settings. I sold one of my 980Ti's and haven't looked back.

I got a 49" Samsung Js9000 4k Tv...Unfortunately DSR would rip my 980 Ti's to shreds...

Yeah, it would destroy even SLI 980Ti's - my bad, I checked your sig but didn't see what monitor you used.

Just game? 6700K. Dual purpose workstation (or just chasing benchmark numbers) - X99 or wait for the next iteration that supports 8+ core CPUs (which may turn out to be the X99 platform with a BIOS upgrade).

As for DDR3 to DDR4, there isn't a huge increase in most games (the same was true for DDR2 to DDR3). CPU starved games will see a bump given sufficiently faster RAM speed.

Last edited:
The latest rumor is Broadwell-e is 6 months away (June 2016).

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1884725

If that is true I would not expect Skylake-e in the first half of 2017. Well unless AMD has some miracle performance improvement with Zen that is well beyond the 40% IPC improvement they claimed months ago.

have to double check but I think the last leaked slides indicated September for BW E

Yeah, it would destroy even SLI 980Ti's - my bad, I checked your sig but didn't see what monitor you used.

Just game? 6700K. Dual purpose workstation (or just chasing benchmark numbers) - X99 or wait for the next iteration that supports 8+ core CPUs (which may turn out to be the X99 platform with a BIOS upgrade).

As for DDR3 to DDR4, there isn't a huge increase in most games (the same was true for DDR2 to DDR3). CPU starved games will see a bump given sufficiently faster RAM speed.

have to double check but I think the last leaked slides indicated September for BW E

Thanks for the input fellas....I really just game on this rig....I think I might just do the smart thing and hold off until skylake-e. Don't really think broadwell-e will be that much of an improvement even with the extra cores for a gaming rig over my 3770k at 4.6
I hope skylake-e will justify the extra one year + wait time.......:(

By then cannonlake may be more attractive for gaming. I do not see games needing 8 cores / 16 threads any time soon.

By then cannonlake may be more attractive for gaming. I do not see games needing 8 cores / 16 threads any time soon.

I know it's slightly off topic, but some folks disable hyperthreading to reduce temperatures and over clock higher - which can be better for poorly optimised games. Having more cores could also help as game developers are finally coding to use more cores even in DX11 titles. That and DX12 supposedly will have that baked in by default.

We're really in a threshold moment still with regards to CPU core usage in games. I really hope DX12 is all it is stated to be.

I know it's slightly off topic, but some folks disable hyperthreading to reduce temperatures and over clock higher - which can be better for poorly optimised games. Having more cores could also help as game developers are finally coding to use more cores even in DX11 titles. That and DX12 supposedly will have that baked in by default.

We're really in a threshold moment still with regards to CPU core usage in games. I really hope DX12 is all it is stated to be.

I always disable hyperthreading...it seems pointless for my gaming pc.

With Intel further confirming their monopoly status by separating Xeons and Core processors by chipset, regardless of identical sockets, I'm hoping Asrock makes some awesome Xeon compatible OC boards for Skylake-E. I'm looking forward to overclocking a 16+core Xeon.

I always disable hyperthreading...it seems pointless for my gaming pc.

That is the stupidest thing in the world. You spend $100+ extra to get a HT enabled CPU, then turn around and hobble it..HT isn't pointless, but believe what you wish.;)

Wait for benchmarks for Broadwell-E, then look at the minimum frame rates compared to your 3770K for a few games you REALLY want to upgrade to shine.

Now, compare the performance upgrade to the cost of the platform change. Is it worth it (this is a personal preference) with little to no buyer remorse? If it is, buy it. If not, wait for Skylake-E and repeat.

I've been on x58 FOREVER because to me, the cost of upgrading the platform wasn't worth it for any of the games I play. 5% increase here, 6% increase there, 4% here. I'm wanting a 50% performance increase or more when I upgrade my CPU and GPU.

Of course, if you want a new shiny....get a new shiny. lol

Wait for benchmarks for Broadwell-E, then look at the minimum frame rates compared to your 3770K for a few games you REALLY want to upgrade to shine.

Now, compare the performance upgrade to the cost of the platform change. Is it worth it (this is a personal preference) with little to no buyer remorse? If it is, buy it. If not, wait for Skylake-E and repeat.

I've been on x58 FOREVER because to me, the cost of upgrading the platform wasn't worth it for any of the games I play. 5% increase here, 6% increase there, 4% here. I'm wanting a 50% performance increase or more when I upgrade my CPU and GPU.

Of course, if you want a new shiny....get a new shiny. lol

For me it's just about getting more power efficient really, performance levels we're fine on my X58 platform too. Just wanted something better at Single threaded performance and more power efficient. Skylake is much more efficient then Gulftown is on Single thread by far. New shiny played into it too. :p

I will likely go to Skylake-E if I can swing one under the Intel Retail Edge program only. Otherwise I don't believe the Enthusiast platform is really worth it unless your running something like Triple SLI GTX 980 Ti's. Or you do something that actually uses 6 Cores.

That is the stupidest thing in the world. You spend $100+ extra to get a HT enabled CPU, then turn around and hobble it..HT isn't pointless, but believe what you wish.;)

This...HT has been shown to actually be quite helpful but the belief its still crap like it was when it was first released 10 years ago still lingers for some reason.

Again keeping power management in check? Are you running on solar power? Don't by a chip with HT then. That'll save you more money rofl

Also I second that Kaby Lake/Cannon Lake will be better than Skylake E if you dont need extra cores

Back